GPS help (Garmin GPSMap 76cx

Need a little bit of help as im a GPS virgin. My GPS has arrived today Garmin GPSmap 76cx (yippee) but I really don't have a clue what to do with it lol. I have figured out how to enter co-ords manually (that took about an hour) and the way i'm doing it may not be correct but entering them as a waypoint IIRC.

I have downloaded the correct USB drivers for it, easy GPS and talkytoaster UK maps the top one from the Mapsets For Use With Garmin GPSrs Only list. The GPS is found and recognised by the computer and easy GPS.

Whats next, not totally sure how to get what I need like the maps and geocaches from the PC to the gps unit.

The gps is a Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx if that makes any difference and its only the GPS I got, no software etc, have a usb cable to link to the PC though. Any links to online guides etc would be much appreciated or any advice as i'm doing this blind.

I have checked the firmware is the latest though, and that seems to be OK!!!

Cheers

With the unit plugged into the PC you can go to cache listing you want to find and click on Send to GPS. No need to enter cords manually. OR you can do a search for near by caches, at the bottom of the screen is a check all and download button. You can select all the caches on the page and download them to your PC. That will give you a file of the 20 caches that can be opened by EasyGPS. Then using EasyGPS you can send those caches to your unit.

With the unit plugged into the PC you can go to cache listing you want to find and click on Send to GPS. No need to enter cords manually. OR you can do a search for near by caches, at the bottom of the screen is a check all and download button. You can select all the caches on the page and download them to your PC. That will give you a file of the 20 caches that can be opened by EasyGPS. Then using EasyGPS you can send those caches to your unit.

Its that simple?? Thanks for the advice thought it would be more complicated then that lol, will give it a try when the site is back up and running.

Don't suppose anyone knows how to clear the GPS of all its old waypoint, tracks and routes in one go. The unit is used and is full of the last users tracks etc that are of no real use to me.

You mentioned you have EasyGps on your PC. You might consider downloading Garmin's "communicator plug-in" for your PC, and to register your GPS with Garmin. That way when you plug your GPS into your PC it will recognize it. Then you can load a bunch of caches at one time using EasyGps. You will have to tell EasyGps what GPS you want to add to it before it will work. Just play around with it, it's really not that hard to figure out.

Look up the user manual online.

Already read 99% of it and to be honest its not a great manual, its not obvious how to delete the data or even restore to factory settings, but will take another look I may have looked past it.

You mentioned you have EasyGps on your PC. You might consider downloading Garmin's "communicator plug-in" for your PC, and to register your GPS with Garmin. That way when you plug your GPS into your PC it will recognize it. Then you can load a bunch of caches at one time using EasyGps. You will have to tell EasyGps what GPS you want to add to it before it will work. Just play around with it, it's really not that hard to figure out.

Yep got the communicator plug-in installed and easy GPS recognises the GPS. On easy GPS everything under the geochaching tab is shaded out (not clickable) not sure why that is, will try again when the site main GC site is back online and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Don't suppose anyone knows how to clear the GPS of all its old waypoint, tracks and routes in one go. The unit is used and is full of the last users tracks etc that are of no real use to me.

A lot of keystrokes and scrolling here, but it should be very easy once you see it:

Waypoints: Press Find->Waypoints->Enter->Menu->Delete->All Symbols->Enter

Tracks: Starting at the Main Menu, select tracks, scroll down to Clear->Enter

Routes: Starting at Main Menu, select Routes->Enter-> press Menu->Delete Routes->Enter

You didn't mention, but if the unit has an SD card in it, might want to just go ahead and clear that off completely as well.

A lot of keystrokes and scrolling here, but it should be very easy once you see it:

Routes: Starting at Main Menu, select Routes->Enter-> press Menu->Delete Routes->Enter

You didn't mention, but if the unit has an SD card in it, might want to just go ahead and clear that off completely as well.

Thats superb thanks for that its much appreciated. It does have an SD card and there is 2 files on it.

Thats superb thanks for that its much appreciated. It does have an SD card and there is 2 files on it.

Ooppps, whoa, STOP!! I misspoke. Those are probably the maps, you'll want those! hold on a sec...

You'll want to keep the file gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder. That's your map. It gets overwritten with a new file of the same name everytime you upload a new map set. There map be something like a poi file/folder, that can go.

edit:gmapsupp info

Edited by JBnW