State of Caches in UT Valley

NEWZERBOY

Hello,

After relocating to Utah in the past few months I've reentered the cachin' community. I don't have a ton of finds but I have enjoyed this hobby for a few years now. But something has been bothering me since I started caching here and I don't know if this is status quo for Utah caching. (if it is, I guess I'll just suck it up and get used to it). It seems to me that a good number of caches are damaged, destroyed, or missing. What's worse, the logs reflect that the problems have been there for months, if not years!

Many of the finds I've had here are soaking wet. I'm starting to believe it's a new cache type: ASWL "Another Soaking Wet Log" (can't wait until there's a new icon for it). And it's not just because of the wet winter/spring. Many of them have numerous logs that have mentioned the disrepair (or missing caches) for months... even years.

I've replaced many logs and containers, but I don't have enough in my arsenal to replace all those that I've seen that are not being maintained.

Tips? Suggestions?

Alright, I'll weigh in. I can't really speak for UT Valley, but I've seen my share of "Needs Maintenace" caches all over the state. The best way to get outta that type of scenario is to get out of the urban areas. I've noticed that the majority of caches in those areas are; well, crappy. IMO, I feel that some CO's don't really see the need to put out quality caches in the first place. Instead, a $.50 container is placed and when it is damaged it is just archived(eventually) and another cache shows up around the corner. So with that being said; I have to ask "why?" replace caches with your own resources when the CO is too busy or has too many other caches to worry about. Just my opinion.

I have to ask "why?" replace caches with your own resources when the CO is too busy or has too many other caches to worry about.

Reasons to Maintain another persons cache:

1. They live far enough away that Mx is only done every year or so
  2. Logbook is Full
  3. The CO Asks for someone to do it for them
  4. Pay it Forward Cache Mx
  5. Cache needs to dry out(and you have the time to wait)
  6. You have "DrB's Cache Repair Kit"*
  7. Box is cracked, and you have the tape to fix it
  8. You have the supplies to fix it with you
  9. Its a "Quality Cache" that you want others to still have the enjoyment of finding it

The Steaks

*Though I am not associated with Cache-Advance, she is a good friend and GREAT Resource for All your Caching Supplies!

I have to ask "why?" replace caches with your own resources when the CO is too busy or has too many other caches to worry about.

Reasons to Maintain another persons cache:

1. They live far enough away that Mx is only done every year or so
  2. Logbook is Full
  3. The CO Asks for someone to do it for them
  4. Pay it Forward Cache Mx
  5. Cache needs to dry out(and you have the time to wait)
  6. You have "DrB's Cache Repair Kit"*
  7. Box is cracked, and you have the tape to fix it
  8. You have the supplies to fix it with you
  9. Its a "Quality Cache" that you want others to still have the enjoyment of finding it

The Steaks

*Though I am not associated with Cache-Advance, she is a good friend and GREAT Resource for All your Caching Supplies!

All great reasons. The other is that this is for better or worse, geocaching is a community sport. We help each other out when we can. :)