Support for Teams?

otherdave

I did a quick check to see if this is posted already and didn't see it. Sorry if it's an old topic.

I found my first cache this morning with my girlfriend, pretty cool way to start the day. But I've got some friends at work that are also into Geocaching. I'm sure we'll find some caches as a team and some individually.

I'd love to be able to Log the visit for multiple people at once and leave only one log entry. This way everyone can have the proper number of caches found, but if three of us go out we don't add three logs to the page that all say essentially the same thing.

Ideas?

The problem lies in changing the structure of the database. Right now, the cache log contains a field for who that user is. That links to the user table so that the user's profile can accurately count the logs that have a smily face on them.

To change it to a team log would mean changing the structure to a many-to-many relationship: A log can have many users and a user can have many logs. While not impossible, it does take some good restructuring to do.

This is just the kind of thing I have to consider everyday at work. I even have a stupid little name: "DIvsUB" - Difficulty of Implementation vs. User Benefit. I'm not saying that it isn't a valid upgrade (and one that I may even consider using down the road as well). However, the difficulty involved in the restructuring might not justify the added benefit yet.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

I understand why some might want this but I have found that even though a group of people went together on a cache hunt the preception of what happened is often quite different between them. I find it amusing to read and compare what happened between people.