Easter Caches?

I am not a fan of holiday theme caches. I've seen it done well a total of ONE time.

That one was a year-round Christmas tree out in the middle of the woods. It's awesome.

The rest of the time, to come across a holiday theme cache at every other time of the year just seems dumb.

I don't care to know when you placed it in the name of the cache, give the cache a good name that makes sense year round.

I like caches named after the area or geological formations.

Caches that have names of parks in them are helpful in many, many ways. (assuming those caches are in those parks)

Cache names that show some historical reference of the area are cool.

There are other cool ideas for cache names, and I don't think the day you placed it is one.

Here is one that popped up in my area on Friday 4/22:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2TN9Z

A 6 cache series with the coordinates for the final found in the first 5. Each container is a plastic Easter egg. Doomed to fail right from the start. Some have already started receiving "wet log" logs. This paragraph from the listing has me surprised that it was even published:

THIS SERIES IS SEASONAL. THE CACHE CONTAINERS ARE FLIMSY PLASTIC EASTER EGGS, AND AREN'T MEANT TO LAST PAST THE EASTER SEASON. THEY WILL EVENTUALLY BE ARCHIVED, SO GET THEM WHILE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE! GOOD LUCK!

This statement seems to go against the cache permanance guideline:

Geocache Permanence: Geocaches are placed for the long term. Geocachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) will not be published.

I came across this Easter themed puzzle cache and thought it was fun to do, although I'll probably never get to Auckland to find it! Easter Egg Hunt

This year I hid my kids' Easter candy in an ammo can in a neighbors' yard down the street (we live in a pretty wooded area). I had them do a four-stage multi around the neighborhood to get to the final. They were out wandering around in their pajamas with the GPSr at 8:00 a.m. They are not big into caching, but this was one they were willing to hunt for!

Here is one that popped up in my area on Friday 4/22:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC2TN9Z

A 6 cache series with the coordinates for the final found in the first 5. Each container is a plastic Easter egg. Doomed to fail right from the start. Some have already started receiving "wet log" logs. This paragraph from the listing has me surprised that it was even published:

THIS SERIES IS SEASONAL. THE CACHE CONTAINERS ARE FLIMSY PLASTIC EASTER EGGS, AND AREN'T MEANT TO LAST PAST THE EASTER SEASON. THEY WILL EVENTUALLY BE ARCHIVED, SO GET THEM WHILE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE! GOOD LUCK!

This statement seems to go against the cache permanance guideline:

Geocache Permanence: Geocaches are placed for the long term. Geocachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) will not be published.

I suspect that note might have added post review.

We have a large Easter Egg Power trail that just opened up in my area. I figure by end of week, half the eggs will be gone. But at least it gave some grown-ups a fun way to have an egg hunt and pump up their numbers. So it's ok by me. Of course they were published the same day as my 3 regular sized park caches, but that's the way it goes... :tired:

This year I hid my kids' Easter candy in an ammo can in a neighbors' yard down the street (we live in a pretty wooded area). I had them do a four-stage multi around the neighborhood to get to the final. They were out wandering around in their pajamas with the GPSr at 8:00 a.m. They are not big into caching, but this was one they were willing to hunt for!

I'm soo doing this next year. :)