Newbie Question

Hello all,Just learned about this when i was researching things to do at a state park here in Florida. I've all ready began caching with my son here around town and we love it! My question is..... we are going camping at the state park soon (there are 9 caches) and I'm not sure if there cell signal there. I use my Samsung Galaxy(andriod)app for caching... will this work if there is no signal? Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

I can't speak for the Samsung but the newer iPhones (I have the 4) definitely do NOT have to have service for the GPS to function. It uses cell tower triangulation to get a quicker lock on your location but it will work without it too (just a little slower to lock on). Of course, you can't look up new caches or read the cache info without data, but you can save a cache to "favorites" when you're in a data area, and them pull it up and hunt for it with GPS alone later if you have no cell coverage.

The GPS will work no problem without cell signal - I have the Samsung Galaxy S i9000.

What you will need is a PQ that you can save on the phone and perhaps some offline maps as well if you need them - some apps require a signal to download maps as well as the caches.

The offficial app does not support offline maps AFAIK, Locus and some other apps do.