GPSMAP 62s

Can you do this ?

I want to keep my home 1000 pocket query info on there, and then add other queries, up to the maximum waypoints that the unit can hold, but it seems that when I add another one, although the old files stay in the garmin/gpx folder on the unit, it only shows the caches on the latest GPX file that I've added. Can I make it show them all ?

Can you do this ?

I want to keep my home 1000 pocket query info on there, and then add other queries, up to the maximum waypoints that the unit can hold, but it seems that when I add another one, although the old files stay in the garmin/gpx folder on the unit, it only shows the caches on the latest GPX file that I've added. Can I make it show them all ?

Here's what works for me.....

1) Generate new PQs - eg for 2000ish caches you would have 4 gpx files

2) GPS connected to PC in mass storage mode.

3) Delete ALL gpx files from the garmin/gpx folder using windows explorer

4) Disconnect GPS from PC

5) Turn on GPS and allow to 'boot' to map screen

6) Reconnect GPS to PC in mass storage mode

7) Copy the new gpx files to the garmin/gpx folder

8) Disconnect GPS from PC

9) Turn on GPS and allow to 'boot' to map screen

You should now find that the GPS indexes all the gpx files and the 2000ish caches should appear on the GPS

Remember to back up anything important ( rg routes ) from the garmin/gpx folder before you delete ALL the gpx files - I have a file structure on the PC to hold my backups and the place where I unzip the gpx from the PQs.

Hope this helps. It's a pain, not sure why it works like this ( another software issue? ), but it seems to work ok for me.

Can you do this ?

I cannot recall a problem when I loaded multiple gpx files at the same time, but it occurred when I transferred new gpx files to the internal memory of the unit on top of existing files.

Everything works fine when putting them on an sd card (into a garmin/gpx folder) so I have been sticking with that -- but I still double check before heading out the door.

I contacted Garmin about this and they noted the issue, recommended that I use the latest gpx version on this website, and seemed to blame it on the gpx files rather than anything with the unit itself.

Edited by mulvaney

I've used both an Oregon 400T and Oregon 450, which should operate similarly to the 62. I always have 5 or 6 .gpx's in \Garmin\GPX and never have an issue with caches from all not being displayed.

Make sure that your file names are distinct, so that you are not inadvertently overwriting the existing .gpx's.

Thanks for the help on this one. I've had a little bit of a play with some of the suggestions, and I've found that if I delete the current variants of gpx files from the garmin/gpx folder (whilst leaving the file in the current folder for history etc), then add all the different pocket query generated filed in one go so in my case three sets of the two files it works fine. So as long as you load them all into the GPS in one update, with a blank folder as the start point, it works a treat.

Thanks again for the help. Simples!

:anitongue:

Thanks for the help on this one. I've had a little bit of a play with some of the suggestions, and I've found that if I delete the current variants of gpx files from the garmin/gpx folder (whilst leaving the file in the current folder for history etc), then add all the different pocket query generated filed in one go so in my case three sets of the two files it works fine. So as long as you load them all into the GPS in one update, with a blank folder as the start point, it works a treat.

I am glad things are working for you. Loading the gpx files at the same time has worked for me, and since I generally do this in any event, I might never have ran into this problem, except for the time that I added one more pq as I was leaving the house to drive 300 miles away. When I turned the 62s on, there was only the last set of caches. Fortunately, I had my laptop. Unfortunately, the laptop's battery needed replacing. Fortunately, there was a spare outlet in the restroom of a state park, which was my first destination. And fortunately again I was the only one in the park at that time and was able to copy them to the sd card -- so all was well. But regardless of where I put the gpx files these days, I always check before leaving the house just in case.

I wish garmin would address the problem in a firmware update, so it might it help to report it to them. If enough of us report it, maybe they will get around to it.

I am glad things are working for you. Loading the gpx files at the same time has worked for me, and since I generally do this in any event, I might never have ran into this problem, except for the time that I added one more pq as I was leaving the house to drive 300 miles away. When I turned the 62s on, there was only the last set of caches. Fortunately, I had my laptop. Unfortunately, the laptop's battery needed replacing. Fortunately, there was a spare outlet in the restroom of a state park, which was my first destination. And fortunately again I was the only one in the park at that time and was able to copy them to the sd card -- so all was well. But regardless of where I put the gpx files these days, I always check before leaving the house just in case.

I wish garmin would address the problem in a firmware update, so it might it help to report it to them. If enough of us report it, maybe they will get around to it.

That's totally bizarre! I've never had it happen on my Oregon. I wonder if this issue is just limited to the 62?

That's totally bizarre! I've never had it happen on my Oregon. I wonder if this issue is just limited to the 62?

I have not heard of it happening with other types of units and it took me by surprise the first time I encountered it. Again, if you run into this issue with your 62 units, keep those reports coming to Garmin.