Need some help with GPS

stickthrower

We have gone out a couple times with our GPS to Geocache. So far, we have found one, and ended up finding it again even though we were looking for a different one.

The first time we used the GPS, we just wrote down the coordinates and searched by slowly working our way in the right direction. The second time we tried going out, we actually programmed the coordinates into the GPS, and we couldn't get close to where we were trying to get to. We had chosen easy caches so that we could get a find. We were kind of frustrated that when we programed the coordinates, we had a harder time than we had just searching by writing the coordinates down.

Could someone help me with what we were doing wrong? I thought it would be better to program the coordinates in so that we wouldn't have to criss cross trying to get where we were going to. I am hoping to go out next week weather permitting to try to find a few more caches and get some fresh air. So I am hoping someone can help me prior to me getting out.

We have a Garmin GPS 72. I don't know if someone else has a similar GPS that may have some advice.

Thanks,

Nathan

When you program the coordinates into the unit then switch to the compass navigation screen and all you need to do is follow the arrow and watch the distance count down. I think with the 72 you need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for the arrow to work because if I recall correctly it doesn't have a magnetic compass.

Once you get within about 20-30 feet put your GPS away and start looking. The cache could be 30,40 or more feet from where the GPS says it is so pay more attention to possible hiding places than what your GPS is telling you.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks Briansnat! I am actually going to try to go out today and see if I can find a few, so I will definitely try this and see if I do better!

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

Nathan

When you program the coordinates into the unit then switch to the compass navigation screen and all you need to do is follow the arrow and watch the distance count down. I think with the 72 you need to be moving at a fairly brisk pace for the arrow to work because if I recall correctly it doesn't have a magnetic compass.

Once you get within about 20-30 feet put your GPS away and start looking. The cache could be 30,40 or more feet from where the GPS says it is so pay more attention to possible hiding places than what your GPS is telling you.

I guess to offer you some assistance, it's important to know what sort of problem you're having. Is the GPS not bringing you to the requested coordinates? If not you may need some technical advice regarding how to navigate with GPS.

However, if the GPS is bringing you to the proper coordinates and you're just not finding the cache, that's a different issue. You need cache-hunting advice, not GPS advice :)

Personally, I can't imagine how you managed to find the first one without putting the coordinates in the GPS. That must have been time consuming!

We have gone out a couple times with our GPS to Geocache. So far, we have found one, and ended up finding it again even though we were looking for a different one.

The first time we used the GPS, we just wrote down the coordinates and searched by slowly working our way in the right direction. The second time we tried going out, we actually programmed the coordinates into the GPS, and we couldn't get close to where we were trying to get to. We had chosen easy caches so that we could get a find. We were kind of frustrated that when we programed the coordinates, we had a harder time than we had just searching by writing the coordinates down.

Could someone help me with what we were doing wrong? I thought it would be better to program the coordinates in so that we wouldn't have to criss cross trying to get where we were going to. I am hoping to go out next week weather permitting to try to find a few more caches and get some fresh air. So I am hoping someone can help me prior to me getting out.

We have a Garmin GPS 72. I don't know if someone else has a similar GPS that may have some advice.

Thanks,

Nathan

Must ask..... how did you "program" the coords into the GPSr? By hand-entering, or by computer connection?

I ask because this unit (GPS72) uses serial port connections. Is fine if you do, it's just that not many people utilize as USB is far easier.

My point is.... if you hand entered the coords, make sure that you get them right (we had a '72 and it is very easy to "fat-finger" in some bad coords).

Another little pitfall with hand-entering coords is to make sure that you NAME the added coords (due to six/seven characters, may want to use GC#), otherwise it can confuse you when you select a cache to go after.

----------------

What Briansnat said is correct. Just follow where it "tells" you to go, but don't lock your eyes on the GPSr too tight, you really need to look about as you are navigating. Once close, look more for the cache or its' hiding spot, less at the GPSr -- because when you are close, the GPS72 really starts to jump around on telling you where to go (that's 'cuz you are moving slowly).

Nice unit though. Just don't drop it into a fast-moving stream. It floats and it runs with the current. A slow moving creek or a lake, fine as it will stay right there to grab up.

Yes, I entered the coordinates by hand. Yeah, didn't really know about the serial port connection. That would be a heck of a lot easier to do!

I am horrible about fat fingering, so that may have been what I did.

I had only entered the one cache, so I didn't have a problem with that, but i also just didn't really know all that well what I was doing.

Maybe that was also part of my problem. We weren't really moving all that fast. So maybe we were moving too slow for it.

Must ask..... how did you "program" the coords into the GPSr? By hand-entering, or by computer connection?

I ask because this unit (GPS72) uses serial port connections. Is fine if you do, it's just that not many people utilize as USB is far easier.

My point is.... if you hand entered the coords, make sure that you get them right (we had a '72 and it is very easy to "fat-finger" in some bad coords).

Another little pitfall with hand-entering coords is to make sure that you NAME the added coords (due to six/seven characters, may want to use GC#), otherwise it can confuse you when you select a cache to go after.

----------------

What Briansnat said is correct. Just follow where it "tells" you to go, but don't lock your eyes on the GPSr too tight, you really need to look about as you are navigating. Once close, look more for the cache or its' hiding spot, less at the GPSr -- because when you are close, the GPS72 really starts to jump around on telling you where to go (that's 'cuz you are moving slowly).

Nice unit though. Just don't drop it into a fast-moving stream. It floats and it runs with the current. A slow moving creek or a lake, fine as it will stay right there to grab up.