Puzzle Cache Help

lil_explorer

Alright, let me begin by saying I seem to be seriously visually/spatially challenged, so I think I've picked a hobby that I'm going to struggle with at first! (I'm one of those people that have to turn a map around in my hands so the roads so the map matches the actual earth surface!)

I'm trying to sort my first puzzle cache. It's serial number is gc2dnr1 and it's called Marathoner. My first challenge was figuring out which was longtitude and which was latitude (I told you I was challenged) and I think I've figured out that N 42 18.834 is the latitude and W 082 58.229 is the longtitude. The puzzle says the longtitude is correct, the latitude is not correct. I am assuming that means I have to travel north or south to find the correct coordinates, and I'm going to do that later today if I can figure out the puzzle clues.

Ready? You have to follow these steps to find the cache. I'm not sure what to do with the stuff I HAVE figured out, like step 1 and 2. This is where I need some guidance. DO I navigate these distances on the gps to get there, or is this paper and pen stuff that I have to mess around with to get the final answer? My iphone doesn't "take coordinates" to find them, as far as I'm aware so it's not like I can use it like a normal gps. HELP

1. I am the official distance in km of an official marathon THE ANSWER IS 42.195

2. I am a 2006 movie written and directed by Gary Lennon and played by Milla Jovovich THE ANSWER is .45

3. I am written right there: 42.31237 -82.87019222 (Unsure)

4. 1 + (2 + 3/100)/1,000 The answer is.........shrugs.........1.50?

That's all I have to give you to help me..........but please help!!!! (Don't give me the answer -- I just want some guidance as to how I should proceed)

It isn't appropriate to discuss very specific puzzle caches in the forums as they are searchable for all future seekers. Sometimes just figuring out what the puzzle is --- is the puzzle in and of itself. Solving it becomes easy after that.

The best advice I can give is to ask the owner of the cache if they are willing to give a subtle hint.

Best of luck on it!!!

Edited by StarBrand

Oh, I didn't realize.............

I sort of figured there was a basic set of steps to be followed for puzzle caches. I just need to know if I have to figure out the whole answer while I'm still at home or if puzzle caches are solved LITERALLY step by step while moving from point to point.

I'll try contacting the cache owner.

Thanks.

It isn't appropriate to discuss very specific puzzle caches in the forums as they are searchable for all future seekers. Sometimes just figuring out what the puzzle is --- is the puzzle in and of itself. Solving it becomes easy after that.

The best advice I can give is to ask the owner of the cache if they are willing to give a subtle hint.

Best of luck on it!!!

As mentioned, posting spoilers/solutions for puzzle caches is generally considered inappropriate. The problem is that the spoilers/solutions remain online and searchable for the life of the puzzle cache. But here are some general tips:

A while back, The Rat offered a puzzle-solving class as an event cache. His slides are available here:

http://thegba.net/resources/general_information.php

Among the tips he offered:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, area codes, telephone keypads, episode numbers, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

Oh, I didn't realize.............

I sort of figured there was a basic set of steps to be followed for puzzle caches. I just need to know if I have to figure out the whole answer while I'm still at home or if puzzle caches are solved LITERALLY step by step while moving from point to point.

I'll try contacting the cache owner.

Thanks.

Best of luck on it!!!

Virtually all puzzle caches are different. Most you solve before heading out, some require a visit to other places, some have clues while you are in the field seeking. You never know.

niraD has some good general hints that may or may not help.