Log length limits

seneca

Has there been a change in the log length limits? I attempted to put an unusually long log on a cache that was rejected as being too long and displayed the message "Your log length can't be more than 4000 characters." It was 4,300 characters. I edited it down below 4000 and I got the same message. I have kept editing it down and now it is 3,600 characters and it still is getting rejected for being too long! Has the allowable log length been reduced and they have just forgot to change the error message?

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Has there been a change in the log length limits?

I don't know if the number of characters allowed has been reduced, but I do a couple of instances from a year or two ago of people mentioning that they "maxed out" writing their Find/DNF and had to continue their story in a note.

quote:
Originally posted by Seneca:

Has there been a change in the log length limits?

I do not know either - I had, however, similar problems. It would be helpful if at least the following two suggestions could be incorporated:

(1) Announce the limit for the length of logs at a place where it can easily be seen (e.g. somewhere on the form which is used for entering logs).

(2) Give the loggers an indication how many characters they have to delete or to transfer to another log. Otherwise, it will either be a tiresome trial-and-error process, or one has to count the number of one's log by another software (not a very convenient way in my opinion).

I have to admit, however, that I do not understand why this rather tight limit is necessary at all when at the same time people can upload that many pictures. A few lines of text certainly need less space than photographs. Moreover, being forced to split up long logs in two parts does not contribute to saving storage space - it just is annoying for the person who is logging and for the cachers reading the cache page. Another reason why I do not like the limit on the length of log entries is that it clearly results in a disatvantage to those who wish to offer some parts of their log in more than one language.

Cezanne.