Fried my 60CSx

I plugged it into the car usb to keep it charged and I looked up and say it was off. Reached up, grabbed it and it was warm. Garmin as everyone knows wants 109.00 to fix it. Was just curious if anyone knows what might need replaced on the board. It won't turn on at all.

Thanks,

Hiking Dude

I think he meant that he plugged it in so it would operate with the external power supply, not charge.

I had a similar problem. Checked the battery terminals, clean. Checked to assure they were making contact, yes. Ended up sending the unit back for the $109 deal and had a new (rebuilt) unit back in a week. Was not happy about it as I am not rough on equipment. I will never know the cause of the problem. But it seems this is a not so uncommon problem and is possibly a defect. Garmin will never tell. They are making $100 for each unit sent back and not having to honor any warranty.

I plugged it into the car usb to keep it charged and I looked up and say it was off. Reached up, grabbed it and it was warm. Garmin as everyone knows wants 109.00 to fix it. Was just curious if anyone knows what might need replaced on the board. It won't turn on at all.

Thanks,

Hiking Dude

What charger, cable, outlet, hardware combination were you using?

No, I don't think he is. However, damage caused by external sources, such as over voltage issues, are not often covered by anyone's warranty.

Right. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion about what happened to the OP's GPS, or make a generalization that Garmin would use that as an excuse to not honor a warranty (as CosmicMiami implied). If I had a GPS still within warranty period, and it stopped working -- I would just turn it back to the maker and say "fix it." And unless there was some obvious and visible damage, I'd expect them to do so -- no question asked.

DOH! That unit doesn't charge off the USB.

Maybe it was warm from the car's heater vent? You've tried removing the batteries, right? How about holding down the right buttons when powering up (google) to do a hard reset?

No, but I'll bet that's what he did. I have a TomTom that charges that way. So do a couple of GMRS radios. If that was the mistake, the unit is quite fried. If Garmin will fix for $109, sounds like a deal to me.

But it should survive being plugged into a powered USB cable; it just won't charge from it. I routinely plug my 60Cx and 60CSx into my computer, the screen backlight comes on automatically (which tells me it's a powered cable), and nothing bad happens.

My hunch is that either 1) the OP's cable supplied too much voltage, or 2) the unit was naturally warm or warm from the in-car heater, and for unrelated reasons had a brain fart and needs a hard reset.

I'm inclined to belive #2. If Garmin was smart enough to add over-voltage protection from the batteries - Lithium batteries were tripping it - I think they'd be smart enough to add the same protection on the USB port.

Never toss a malfunctioning GPS unit before trying a hard reset. (I can never remember the magic keystrokes for a hard reset, but google does.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Hard reset # 1: PEP method, hold down Page+Entr+Power. Box drops down, select Yes.

#2 method, Hold down Quit+Menu+Zoom out+Power for about 10 sec to let it clear everything. All you will see is a blank dark page as it resets to default. Once I let up too soon, and it still had 2 of my custom settings in the Trip Page, and the Map Page didn't open up to Garmin in Kansas.