Stress Reliever

Redfist

Today after some frustrating conference call meetings at work, I decided to take a "long lunch" and go do a 5 mile hike through the desert to get 3 caches (1 final stage of a multi + 2 traditional). I didn't see a single other person as I hiked silently through the desert (no mp3 player as you do need to keep an ear out for rattlesnakes). I climbed over rocks, past many variety of cactus, bushes, trees, etc. It wasn't too hot yet, but it was enough + exercise to work up a sweat.

I found all 3 containers, made it back to my car feeling great and drove back home.

Do any of you lean on geocaching for some stress relief? If so, care to share a story?

One of the main reasons I got into geocaching was for stress relief. I started at a time when my marriage was on the rocks and I really needed something else to focus on. It became an essential diversion from all other problems I was facing. I met some wonderful new friends and had lots of good places and time to just think things through.

I also purposefully don't find every cache near my work for those days when the weather is nice or the stress is high so that I can go find a quick lunchtime cache.

Overall, I find geocaching a very rewarding hobby that is a different experience everytime I go out, and that helps me a lot. :D

My wife and I cache for fun but we also use it for breaking up long drives when traveling. Hours of driving can get old so we schedule geocaching time along the route and it makes the trip MUCH more enjoyable. We get where we're going without all the stress of straight-through driving and we have fun finding the caches along the way.

I'm glad I saw this thread.

Geocaching helps me forget how lonely graduate school is, even though I always Geocache (in this state) alone. When I go back home, I Geocache with friends and family of course.

Today, for instance, I walked about 8-9 miles just to do 3 caches during a long lunch that I had today. Fantastic. Best moments of my week. HUGE stress relief.

I work extra long most days, although from home, it's still extremely stressful. I long to cache every chance I get as it's so quiet and so nice to get out of the house. KDT doesn't have nearly as stressful of a life, so at times I leave him at home to 'relax'. I find geocaching refreshes me for a new day, and sometimes brings light onto a situation that I was having a hard time with before.

Actually mine was just last week. I have generalized anxiety disorder and I went to the park alone for my first solo geocache, and I have never felt more mellow. It was a beautiful warm (but very windy) spring day and I was actually relaxed, and that good feeling stuck with me when I went to work afterwards. :) Geocaching: Better than anti-anxiety drugs!

I cache for stress relief in general.

I like to process my thoughts while out geocaching and it gives me something to focus on so my mind can just wander around all the yucky stuff of the day. Sometimes I'm paying so little attention to the journey to the cache it's like I just arrived there. So sometimes for me there's not a lot to write about my journeys.

This isn't a competitive thing for me. I don't play the first to find game. I play to have fun and have fun only. It's a hobby and stress reliever for me and nothing more.

I used it after a bad break-up.

I was incredibly depressed and had trouble even getting out of the house to get to the store. I would bribe myself to go to the store by saying, "If you go to the store, you can get two caches". It often was the only thing that got me out of the house.

My ex is a cacher who always had to have a higher count than I did since he started long before I did.

So when I was really angry at him, it was easy to turn it inward and get really depressed. Instead of sinking into that pit, I'd say, "if you're mad at him, get more caches than he's got!" So I'd kick my butt out the door and go caching. It got me exercise and fresh air that I needed to get over the depression, and it was a sane way of dealing with my anger that wasn't taking it out on him or anyone else.

My job isn't the most stressful in the world, but it certainly has it's moments. I certainly like getting out at lunchtime and caching to calm me.

One rule I made for myself long ago is that I NEVER use my mp3 player while caching (at least if there is a hike involved). Hearing the sounds of nature is the main stress reliever for me. Birds, breezes, animals just help me connect with nature a little more.

We had started geocaching rather casually. About a year into the game, we'd stopped completely due to some significant family stress that dominated our lives at the time. One afternoon on a crummy rainy fall afternoon, I looked at Trekkin' and said....."let's just go out and do a couple of hiking caches to get away from this." We found it to be such a wonderful break from what was happening that we realized it would help us through all that. Although those problems were finally resolved after having to make some tough decisions and things are now going swimmingly, we both agree that our enjoyment of caching is in some respects our continuing thanks to that "help" it gave us through one of the most difficult times in our parenting lives.

I mostly cache for the exercise and to see the sights, but there was one notable exception. I was going through a complicated and difficult period, and had trouble staying asleep one night. It was around 3 AM, and I decided I might as well get caught up on e-mail. Seconds after I fired up my e-mail program, I received a notification that a new cache had been published in one of my favorite state parks.

I don't normally chase after FTFs (we have plenty of other intrepid cachers in these parts that enjoy that sport), but I decided I'd make an exception in this case. I downloaded the GPX file, loaded it into my unit, put on my hiking boots, and jumped in the car. Fifty miles of driving, three miles of hiking, and three hours later, I scored one of my few FTFs. Did it help in coping with the stress? Oh, yeah. It's still one of my most memorable caching adventures.

--Larry

I mostly cache for the exercise and to see the sights, but there was one notable exception. I was going through a complicated and difficult period, and had trouble staying asleep one night. It was around 3 AM, and I decided I might as well get caught up on e-mail. Seconds after I fired up my e-mail program, I received a notification that a new cache had been published in one of my favorite state parks.

I don't normally chase after FTFs (we have plenty of other intrepid cachers in these parts that enjoy that sport), but I decided I'd make an exception in this case. I downloaded the GPX file, loaded it into my unit, put on my hiking boots, and jumped in the car. Fifty miles of driving, three miles of hiking, and three hours later, I scored one of my few FTFs. Did it help in coping with the stress? Oh, yeah. It's still one of my most memorable caching adventures.

--Larry

Wow - fifty mile drive for a shot at a FTF. Great memory for someone who doesn't aim for FTFs!

Every time I cache it's a form of stress relief. I stumbled upon this hobby by my love of hiking...My hikes lead me to disc golf, then I heard about Letter Boxing - I never tried Letter Boxing because I fell in love with Geocaching! After a GC'ing hiatus I'm back at it - it's put a hurtin on my disc golf game though. I usually cache alone (as with hiking) and tune into my surroundings. Pure peace.