Charter Member Suggestion (Site Slowdown Related)

Dekaner

Another site that I visit frequently has been undergoing a similar problem to what we're experiencing here in regards to site traffic. As the site became more popular, the traffic increased and the site was slowing down.

Coincidentally, they also took donations similar to charter memberships. In exchange, one of the things they did for their members was to establish a seperate url for them to go to in order to limit the number of users hitting those servers. End result? If you had a subscription you no longer experienced site delays.

I just throw this out there to test the waters. I don't necessarily endorse this idea, just that I found it interesting and possibly applicable here. Let me know your thoughts!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

It's a good suggestion, but the issue at the moment is that almost every page hits the database. Creating another site for charter members would still hit the database equally.

What I am working on is ways to cache the cache pages (ha ha) so they are in memory (or in a file). That way it can check the database less frequently to allow some of that processing power to heavier use pages like the nearest_cache page. The issue I'm trying to deal with is ways to keep the pages fresh with new data while reducing the database queries.

We're working hard on this and will hopefully have a solution shortly. I'm basically creating an identical page with the same functionality (and some assorted "add ons") so you should see a difference in speed but not much in details.

I have, however, decided to remove the find counts from the log pages, since that info will get stale quickly. You'll have to go to people's profiles in the future to see that info.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

We're working hard on this and will hopefully have a solution shortly.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Thanks for all your work. I never lose faith that, whatever the problem is, you guys will eventually fix it.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."