Cache Reviewed, but not enabled

I know I can submit a cache to GC.com without enabling it (which means the reviewers won't see it).

Is it possible to submit a cache (or number of caches in my case) for approval, but not have them go public once approved?

Here is the background info;

I am putting together a spring FTF challenge in my area. This consists of a number of caches (earth caches, traditional, and mystery/puzzle caches), all becoming publicly available at approximately the same time (give or take a couple hours).

With the number caches, I would really like to make sure I have approval on all my caches before they become available.

I know I can submit a cache to GC.com without enabling it (which means the reviewers won't see it).

Is it possible to submit a cache (or number of caches in my case) for approval, but not have them go public once approved?

Here is the background info;

I am putting together a spring FTF challenge in my area. This consists of a number of caches (earth caches, traditional, and mystery/puzzle caches), all becoming publicly available at approximately the same time (give or take a couple hours).

With the number caches, I would really like to make sure I have approval on all my caches before they become available.

Find out who your local reviewer is and drop them an email saying pretty much what you said here. Given the time and the willingness to work with your reviewer you probably can work out something. It is best to work directly with your reviewer instead of relying on the forums for this type of information.

Yup. It is done often enough, thanks to our hard working reviewers. Put a note on the cache page(s) stating when you want them published. But be aware that, as far as I know, it is strictly a human effort, and not something that can be automated (those in the know, please feel free to correct me). I have seen caches accidentally released prematurely. I'd strongly suggest that before you even get started on the challenge, that you first discuss your idea with your reviewer.

Several Alberta communities have held "Cache and Release" events over the years. Our review team has been very generous about working with the organizers and hiders about reserving hiding spots, reviewing cache pages in advance, and releasing all of them at a specified time.

Send your reviewer an email explaining what you have planned and see if they might be willing to do the same for you. Keep several things in mind:

1. Be flexible with your release date/time. Reviewers have lives, too. Due to work schedules, vacations, etc., they might not have computer access for your first choice of date/time.

2. They probably will want you to submit your cache pages for review several days ahead of the release date/time. How far ahead depends on how many caches you plan to release, how busy they expect to be, etc.

3. They won't reserve specific hiding spots from saturation conflicts for too long. That wouldn't be fair to other geocachers in your area.

Good luck.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Our area is covered by 3 reviewers so I was looking to see what has been done in other areas before I go emailing the reviewers.

I suspect that I should be able to ask for them to be reviewed and approved, but disabled so that the responsibility of making them public will be left to me and not the reviewer remembering my request weeks later.

Hopefully this works out.

Keep in mind that reviewers don't "approve" of caches. They review for compliance with the guidelines and then 'publish' them. So once published - they are available to the public. Nomatter the cache status.

So the only way to do what you want is to coordinate the request with your local reviewer.

I suspect that I should be able to ask for them to be reviewed and approved, but disabled so that the responsibility of making them public will be left to me and not the reviewer remembering my request weeks later.

You could immediately disable the published caches, but they will be visible to the public. I'm not sure I'd trust all FTF hounds to ignore the cache pages until you reactivate them.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer will remember your request, especially if you send them a reminder email a couple days ahead of the scheduled release.

Keep in mind that reviewers don't "approve" of caches. They review for compliance with the guidelines and then 'publish' them. So once published - they are available to the public. Nomatter the cache status.

So the only way to do what you want is to coordinate the request with your local reviewer.

That was the response I was looking for (but not exactly the answer I wanted).

Thanks for the info

You could immediately disable the published caches, but they will be visible to the public. I'm not sure I'd trust all FTF hounds to ignore the cache pages until you reactivate them.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer will remember your request, especially if you send them a reminder email a couple days ahead of the scheduled release.

That is my concern. We are a small community, but fairly competitive.

I am kind of disapointed I can't be part of the FTF race myself. Hopefully I'll set the bar high and have someone take one for the team next year so I can be out in the hunt race. B)

Edited by Mike & Jess