Savannah & Tybee Island, GA

tygerkat

We are staying in Tybee for Spring Break - April 16th - April 23rd. Have been scouting different caches in the area and on Hilton Head. Noticed that there are many active cachers in the area. Any one want to meet up or send us some caches not to miss in the area would be greatly appreciated. Also, any possible meet and greets during our stay that we could attend?

Thanks for the info,

Tygerkat

Went spent a week in Tybee back in February, it is beautiful down there. You need to check out the Lighthouse. There is a cache there but it isn't anything special but, you can climb the lighthouse. I'm not sure where your from but we are from the North East where there a bunch of lighthouses but they don't let you climb them. Also, check out Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah.

My wife and I visit Tybee / Savannah quite often. The last time was back in January. It was here that we failed miserably at trying to start geocaching, before deciding to try it first a little closer to home. We can't wait to go back, with more experience under our belt, and find the ones that vexed us in the beginning.

My wife and I visit Tybee / Savannah quite often. The last time was back in January. It was here that we failed miserably at trying to start geocaching, before deciding to try it first a little closer to home. We can't wait to go back, with more experience under our belt, and find the ones that vexed us in the beginning.

Here's a bookmark by one of the locals.

I would also highly recommend My batteries are not holding up! at Fort Pulaski. You have to pay to get onto the fort grounds, but visiting the fort is worth it (and picking up a cache is good, too :) ). There are also a couple of earthcaches there - Cockspur Island Lighthouse is one.

And if you're bringing bikes, there are several along the rails-to-trails path - Railroad Trail is one of those and is a 2001 cache.

If you have time to get to Skidaway Island State Park, there are several in there (some are virtuals). If you've done any of the Georgia State Park challenge caches, you can grab another one at Skidaway.

Edited by mertat

Okay, not a cache but if you're staying on Tybee, find time to eat at AJ's. Get there early so you can get a parking spot (the parking lot is TINY) and sit out on the deck and enjoy the sunset over the river. The food is great, too!

I agree!

Never eaten at AJ's, but Lighthouse Pizza may not look like much, but it has some of the best pizza I've had.