Choices for a youth camp

So, I am going to be looking to purchase about 3-4 GPS units for a youth camp in a few months. I am needing some advice on what to look for. I'm on a budget and not looking to spend more than $100 per unit (if possible). If spening more, I'd drop that number to 2 units...

They need to be able to inputs coordinates on the go or select from list (no computer required). First option is better for activity...

Semi water proof (more like rain possibly)

Backlight screen

This is for a youth summer camp geocache/scavenger hunt, so if you've been involved in one and have used a gps during, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

Edited by mlomeli

just about any handheld GPS receiver should be capable of having coordinate information entered manually, and all units that I have seen allow you to enter multiple sets of coordinates, see a list of such coordinates, and select from the list

I have yet to see a handheld unit that was not reasonable durable and waterproof

I would advise that you stay away from automobile navigation units, no matter what they might cost, due to their more fragile nature and limited battery life

if your main goal is just to enter coordinates and go to that place, then you should be able to pick up several units on eBay for much less than your hundred-dollar-each maximum

make sure that any units that you buy come with the original manual

if your desire for a backlight screen is so that the units can be used at night, then that will restrict things somewhat, but if the units will be used during the daytime, then I would think that standard screens would be fine - even then, I have had a non-backlit unit for years, and I get by just fine by using a flashlight

the only downside that I can think of to this approach is that you would probably end up getting several different makes/models, and that might lead to squabbles amongst the kids over who got the perceived "best" one

there will also be the issue of each unit working differently, so you would have to bone up on each one, if you will be the "go to" person for how to use them

Edited by Bhob

Ok, I see your point. they'll have flashlights, so back light isn't a must. Those garmin etrex...are those something that would work for something simple? Perhaps I could set waypoints prior, in a list and they have to find the right one??? Those seem to be in the price range.

Ya, all models would be the same. Teens will argue over anything. One less thing to worry about, right? :lol:

Edited by mlomeli

I would say for the price range, you may want to look at the eTrex Legend H. Walmart.com has them for $113 new. It's got the ability to manually input waypoints and some memory to load some topo maps for the area if you would like. And if it's like my etrex legend, it should have a backlit screen.

I would say for the price range, you may want to look at the eTrex Legend H. Walmart.com has them for $113 new. It's got the ability to manually input waypoints and some memory to load some topo maps for the area if you would like. And if it's like my etrex legend, it should have a backlit screen.

Awesome. Info much appreciated. I'll check them out.