Carsington Reservoir

doglet

Hi, I am fairly new to caching and was up at Carsington yesterday and couldnt get a signal on my mobile and so could not load caches, it was a bit misty, if I had loaded caches before I went would this have worked? I did have some satelites showing.

Hi Les

Yes, if you have loaded the caches onto your phone at home then you have no need for mobile reception when out and about. Your phone will act just like a paperless GPS.

That's what I do as signal can be patchy here on the moors. Load a GPX file (from a PQ) onto the phone at home covering everything I'm likely to search for while out.

Of course if you want to post logs in the field you will need your mobile reception, but I tend to use field notes which I then upload back at home and expand during edit before posting.

Hope that helps and welcome to the fun.

I'm often envious of those who can cache on their wizzy phones but, having done some of the Carsington caches recently with a second-hand Garmin Venture HC and cache details on an ipod touch, perhaps I shouldn't be.

If the phone doesn't work very well in remote areas, it wasn't an expensive route to take and I've been very happy, even though it does mean I have two devices with me.

Of course the other trouble with Carsington REservoir is the enormous number of people there, even on the freezing, rainy day, I went with a caching chum.

Load a GPX file (from a PQ) onto the phone at home covering everything I'm likely to search for while out.

He'd need to pay for Premium Membership to run a PQ or download a .GPX from the cache page....

Les - get a Premium Membership - it makes things far easier and more worthwhile :):)

Both GPS and Mobiles work in the Microwave band of frequencies, so a bit of moisture and you can get a degraded signal.

(All words above have been tested and cleared in dictionary.com; if you believe any of them to be offensive, please contact dictionary.com and request they add the Vulgar tag to that word)

Edited by Moote