First cache hide

jasonrn2000

Hi there. I am new to geocaching, and I am hooked. I am excited to try my first hide. I have the container and the spot. I am looking for advice with the coordinates.

I have been using my Iphone 4 with the geocaching.com app. I have read that this device may not be the most accurate. I then downloaded the motionx gps app based on a forum thread stating it may be more accurate.

I also acquired a used geomate jr. I put the iphone and geomate next to each other and the coordinates were almost identical. What do you recommend to get the most accurate coordinates for my listing?

I unfortunately cannot afford a better gps device right now.

Thanks,

Jason

Do you know any other cachers in the area?

I plan to hide my first cache, get as good coordinates as I can on multiple days and then use those coords to search for it myself. After that I plan to give the coords to a friend with a real GPS and see if she can find it. If it's not too off I'll publish.

So I just got my hands on a Garmin venture hc. Just for fun I put the phone and the Garmin next to each other and they were pretty close. I guess I don't know how much a couple numbers different really means.

I tested at work next to a window. 3-4 sats picked up by Garmin.

Garmin Nxx xx.482. iPhone Nxx xx.478

Wxx xx.944. Wxx xx.944

So the north is a little different. And I'm sure outside would also make a difference.

Jason

I plan to hide my first cache, get as good coordinates as I can on multiple days and then use those coords to search for it myself. After that I plan to give the coords to a friend with a real GPS and see if she can find it. If it's not too off I'll publish.

While it is admirable that you will attempt to obtain coords that "aren't too far off", I view that thought train as flawed. True, not every GPSr will provide the same EXACT reading at the same spot, but when one starts placing and making placements with that highlighted statement in mind, they actually are operating outside of the guidelines. From the guidelines:

"2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

1. Technical Requirements

1. Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, providing accurate GPS coordinates is an integral part of the activity and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. For geocaches that include multiple waypoints, please see the additional guidelines specific to those cache types."

If you cannot obtain accurate coords, you shouldn't create the placement. This is regardless of whether the equipment used is at fault or some other factor is at fault. By listing "soft" coords, you are inviting cachers to trample and otherwise disturb a much broader area than necessary.

Although I am not "anti-phone" in the use of such for geocaching, I am "anti-phone" in placement of geocaches. My argument on this subject is two-fold. Firstly: these forums are filled with arguments of phone accuracy. Secondly: if you read the supplied guideline, you will note that it refers to a GPS device. Some feel that an iphone or the like qualifies as such. Well, I don't read it that way. Should the guidelines be altered or changed to include iphone and like devices, then my argument ceases. Until such time, I advise using a dedicated GPS device. Beg, borrow, buy or steal one.

If one enters into the realm of placements with the thought of "not being too far off", the objectivity of accurate listings are degraded.

About my spot... Are there rules for mounting to a tree? Can I screw an eye hook to the tree, or is that against the rules? I could bungee cord it, but afraid that will wear over the years.

Anything screwed into a tree is a no-no. A reviewer will not allow such. If concealed (or omitted) in the cache description, the review WILL learn of it sooner or later and the cache will be archived.

Reading the guidelines for cache placement is a must before placement. It is generally best to read them a few times, as things are noticed later that weren't noted the first (few) times around.

EDIT: For hanging in a tree, the hook end of a coathanger works quite well. Other techniques also apply. Unloose your brain because when you set your mind to it, the possibilities are endless.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

While it is admirable that you will attempt to obtain coords that "aren't too far off", I view that thought train as flawed. True, not every GPSr will provide the same EXACT reading at the same spot, but when one starts placing and making placements with that highlighted statement in mind, they actually are operating outside of the guidelines. From the guidelines:

"2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

1. Technical Requirements

1. Listings must contain accurate GPS coordinates. You must visit the geocache site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS device. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, providing accurate GPS coordinates is an integral part of the activity and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions. For geocaches that include multiple waypoints, please see the additional guidelines specific to those cache types."

If you cannot obtain accurate coords, you shouldn't create the placement. This is regardless of whether the equipment used is at fault or some other factor is at fault. By listing "soft" coords, you are inviting cachers to trample and otherwise disturb a much broader area than necessary.

Although I am not "anti-phone" in the use of such for geocaching, I am "anti-phone" in placement of geocaches. My argument on this subject is two-fold. Firstly: these forums are filled with arguments of phone accuracy. Secondly: if you read the supplied guideline, you will note that it refers to a GPS device. Some feel that an iphone or the like qualifies as such. Well, I don't read it that way. Should the guidelines be altered or changed to include iphone and like devices, then my argument ceases. Until such time, I advise using a dedicated GPS device. Beg, borrow, buy or steal one.

If one enters into the realm of placements with the thought of "not being too far off", the objectivity of accurate listings are degraded.

That's why I plan to borrow my friends GPS device for the last part. Not a phone, GPS. But I'd rather try with the phone first to see what kind of accuracy I get. I added that last part because I've seen local cachers include the error margin of the hide +/- so and so many meters. If I can't get good accuracy I'd rather pick another spot for the hide, that's what I meant.

Anything screwed into a tree is a no-no. A reviewer will not allow such. If concealed (or omitted) in the cache description, the review WILL learn of it sooner or later and the cache will be archived.

I actually got specific permission from the land owner to do this, so I presume under these circumstances it's allowed?

I actually got specific permission from the land owner to do this, so I presume under these circumstances it's allowed?

Maybe, but it sets a very bad precedent for others. Just because they saw it - some new cacher will assume that it is OK and do it in a public park - that might lead to a banning of caches in city parks. I've seen that happen before. I would advise against screwing things into any tree.

Fashion a wire hook for the cache and hook it over a branch.

i put a cache out yesterday but it still has not posted how long does it usually take??
The guidelines used to say that the service goal is for a volunteer reviewer to perform an initial review within 72 hours. If there are no problems, then the cache will be published during the initial review. If there are problems, then it will take longer for you and the reviewer to work out the problems (assuming that they can be worked out).

But I don't see anything about this in the current guidelines.