62(s/t) Geocaching usability suggestions

Maingray

Loving my new 62s, coming from a Oregon 300 here (previously a Legend C, Vista HCX). I emailed the 62/78 Beta Team with a couple of usability additions...

1. When the geocaching dashboard is up, provide a quick way to directly "go to" the current (closest) geocache on display... probably via "menu" key option.

2. When navigating to a geocache, and the compass page is up, add a menu option to view the current geocache.

3. Addition of Profile "shortcuts" to the ribbon bar...rather than "change profiles" button, allow us to add a ribbon menu placeholder for certain profiles and instantly change the profile when this is selected.

4. Addition of a "geocaches found" data field for maps / compass... plus time since last find, or finds / hour etc etc.

5. Addition of Wherigo software (shrug, may as well ask).

Any more people can think of? For the Oregon / Colorado / Dakota units Garmin seemed very open to usability changes.

1) The option to show a position error circle around your current location symbol on the map screen

2) Add a field showing you how much elevation (ascent or descent) remains to your destination. It would be easy with the DEM to grab the destination waypoints underlying elevation (like when you move the pointer over an arbitrary location and it gives you the elevation) and calculate based on your current elevation. This data field would be SUPER nice for all hiking related uses and just think of the geocaching applications, a third dimension (Z value) to coordinates!

Edited by yogazoo

I am also a 62s user and have had my unit for almost 6 months - yes it is a great piece of kit, and I like some of your suggestions above, however.....

I really do think Garmin should start to walk before they run......there are quite a few things they need to sort with the present software before introducing new functions.....and from my experience their Tech Support People need to brush up on their Customer Facing skills ( Garmin Europe based in Southampton, UK )....

I reported this http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263825&st=0&p=4532770&fromsearch=1entry4532770 on the forums back in mid Nov 2010 - and I am STILL waiting for a reply from Garmin. I did have a single point of contact who promised to keep me informed of progress - he never did - I had to keep chasing them by email and phone - they wouldnt reply to my emails - I spoke to Garmin only last week and they say they are still waiting for a response from the US. A simple email reply to this effect would make for better customer service. You only have to search in these forums to see a similar lack of comitment from Garmin - so it is not only me that is effected.

Another software issue here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=268044&st=0&p=4606105&fromsearch=1entry4606105 that was reported to Garmin. This time I got the standard 'cut-and-paste' reply.....

'Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We appreciate

your comments & opinions regarding our products. I have forwarded your

email to the design /cartography team as they are always interested on

customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as

yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future

GARMIN products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee

that what you have suggested will occur, however we do appreciate you

passing along your opinions.'

The software has a flaw, it is not a 'nice to have' suggestion - 'We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will occur' - why not it is obviously a flaw???? A cut and paste special is very impersonal.

I also spoke and emailed Garmin with regards to having a Garmin Forum for specific problems / suggestions with regards to specific gps units. If you look here https://forums.garmin.com/ there is no place to make suggestions like yours at the start of this post. The Garmin 62s is an outdoor unit and has uses other than Geocaching - we are all talking about it on the GC forums - If this was your product, I'm sure you would want to know feedback from your Customers and not pick things up from a third party site like GC..... thats the only way to improve your product base, but Garmin lacks this facility.... maybe a big list of problems on their site would put new customers off??.... maybe Garmin have got it right not providing this facility??? Here's the poor response I got from Garmin on the subject...

'At present the Garmin Forums are primarily aimed at use with Garmin

Range of Fitness devices and the software related to our outdoor and

fitness devices. This is likely to expand in future, however at present

there are no message boards specifically for use with devices outside

the fitness range.'

This is just stating what I told them!! How poor a reply is that?

While I do agree with the points you make in your initial post, I do firmly believe that Garmin should get their act together with what we have already, before introducing new functionality.

How'd we end up here?

The "Original Post" was asking for useful and thoughtful additions of function that would benefit users and wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

I get your frustrations over your interractions with Garmin but let's keep this thread on topic. Please? :) Thanks guys!

Edited by yogazoo

How'd we end up here?

The "Original Post" was asking for useful and thoughtful additions of function that would benefit users and wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

I get your frustrations over your interractions with Garmin but let's keep this thread on topic. Please? :) Thanks guys!

Hi - yes point agreed. My post included some links to previous requests/suggestions I had made and I was sort of adding these to the list.

The OP quoted 'For the Oregon / Colorado / Dakota units Garmin seemed very open to usability changes.' - I was making a point that any changes or suggestions are not, in my experience, easily implemented.

I take your point, and apologise if my post was perceived to be off topic.