Do I have to print?

rckamp

We have actually been geocaching for quite a while, but are getting tired of printing volumes of pages and wrestling through them while caching. Are we doing something wrong? Is there something we could do to simplify the process? I have a GPSmap 60CSx and don't really want to do caching with my Droid.

Hello, I have a 60csx. I use pocket queries and GSAK. Also a macro program in GSAK that gives me GC code, name of the cache, terrain, difficulty, container type, hint. It took alot of practice to get it all to work. To add last 4 finds or DNF, GArmin POI loader.

Video from HeadHardhat well done: Tutorial Video on Loading Waypoints and POIs onto a Garmin 60CSx

Edited by Generoc

That depends on just what you want.

for printing there is TinyGPS (free).

If you want hints there are a few options for you, but first you need to download the cache or receive PQ`s in the .gpx version.

Next would be to use a program like GSAK (free with nag screen or $25) and use a Special Tag, %hint, in the waypoint comment field, giving you the hint but limited to 30 characters.

Then there is the POI method where you use this macro with GSAK and Garmins POI Loader(free) and load as much info as you want but it can get messy, you are limited to 80 characters and if it goes over that it creates multi POIs. Most just load the hint. I also load the caches as waypoint/geocaches and this way.

Here is a page with another way and more directions for doing the POI trick

The best we have found without spending a lot, or getting the latest and greatest paperless GPSR, is to take an old Palm Pilot (or get one on ebay for as little as $30.00) and a little program called Cachemate for $8.00 that gets installed to the Palm.

Using GSAK, you can load the same Pocket Query you loaded into your GPSR into the Palm Pilot. It gives you the full cache description, hint(s), and the last 5 logs. Works very well for us.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it with a Palm Pilot

Edited by BC & MsKitty