Garmin 62 series paperless experience?

cadtenchy

Is there an online set of screen grabs and explanations of the paperless caching on the Garmin 62 series?

I'm used to AGTL on the N900 which is a great little app, but hammers the battery.

For example, can you send all the cache details for an area of the map to the Garmin, with details and hints etc?

Can you add notes for each cache found ? (easily-if entering notes is like naming a waypoint on my Geko 0201 forget that!)

What is the general experience like?

without 3rd party tools, you get everything except "hidden at" date, attributes and the types of logs other than found and DNF. HTML rendering is minimal at best. The only way to store notes is as field notes when logging an attempt, and those are limited to 50 characters and have to be entered using their awkward text entering mechanism. Cache names get truncated to some 20 characters outside the details screens, and searching for caches by name will also search within the first part of the name only. Caches show up on the map with their respective icons and can be selected from there too. Edited by dfx

without 3rd party tools, you get everything except "hidden at" date, attributes and the types of logs other than found and DNF. HTML rendering is minimal at best. The only way to store notes is as field notes when logging an attempt, and those are limited to 50 characters and have to be entered using their awkward text entering mechanism. Cache names get truncated to some 20 characters outside the details screens, and searching for caches by name will also search within the first part of the name only. Caches show up on the map with their respective icons and can be selected from there too.

thanks for the info. I'll need to check the vid where it's not blocked.

so the text enter is still that <enter> move cursor down to your required letter, <enter>, <enter> repeat tediously <enter> ?

Edited by cadtenchy

so the text enter is still that <enter> move cursor down to your required letter, <enter>, <enter> repeat tediously <enter> ?

Yep, that's exactly how it works. Part of the reason why I got an Oregon with a touchscreen... :)

However, even then the field notes aren't useful for anything more than a few short words.

Edited by dfx

without 3rd party tools, you get everything except "hidden at" date, attributes and the types of logs other than found and DNF. HTML rendering is minimal at best. The only way to store notes is as field notes when logging an attempt, and those are limited to 50 characters and have to be entered using their awkward text entering mechanism. Cache names get truncated to some 20 characters outside the details screens, and searching for caches by name will also search within the first part of the name only. Caches show up on the map with their respective icons and can be selected from there too.

Thanks a lot, the youtube video is very illuminating, and very useful. It's better than I thought actually, I could put up with that :)

Yep, that's exactly how it works. Part of the reason why I got an Oregon with a touchscreen... :)

However, even then the field notes aren't useful for anything more than a few short words.

Actually the vid above shows it's waaaay better than the Geko.

Can't seem to find a geko video showing it, but man it sucks.