just starting out help needed

Welcome to the obsession! Be warned, once you're in you can never escape... ;)

There's a good comparison of the two units on the Garmin website:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=30926&compareProduct=30925

Essentially (in no particular order):

1. The 20 has a memory card slot. This allows for storage of more cache information. The onboard memory holds 1000 points

2. The 20 has an electronic compass. This helps with directional accuracy of the unit.

3. Barometric altimeter - not sure if this is really any use in an every day situation.

Depending on your budget I would recommend going for the 20, just because of points 1 and 2. You'll find that if you travel lots or want to hold lots of cache information the extra memory in the 20 will help lots.

West Norfolk is a great place to cache and there's a healthy community for caching events up there too.

Hope this helps!

Collin

Welcome, I agree that you will be happier with the 20. The Electronic Compass and ability to add more memory are features you'll be happy with in the long run. When I bought my first (and current) GPSr I did get the electronic compass but not the SD slot. Now I'm looking to upgrade just for the SD card.

Have fun with it!

Welcome!! I've got some information about Garmin GPS's on my resource website. You'll find an explanation of the features (non technical)- for example the difference between the various types of compass they have and info about what maps can be used on them. Have a look and any questions just ask in the forums here. It's a great idea to get to an event where you can meet other geocachers and have a look at the equipment they use (and I'm sure people will happily take you out to find a cache or two nearby so you can see how the GPS works). The Geocaching Association of Great Britain have a great website and event calendar so you can find one near you.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Hiya

I am in west norfolk, not far from you only in Downham Market.

There is a local forum, where some of us all meet up, you are more than welcome to come and then you could see lots of GPS's in use and see which you like.

There are loads of caches here to find. Please shout if you need any help

Linky to local forum --

http://eageomobbers.org.uk/index/

PS some are meeting tomorrow at santon downham,if thats not too far for you, to do a series of caches

Edited by reddeeps