PDA for paperless caching

NickMackz

I own a reasonably new Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and I have been trying to think of a good paperless solution without upgrading my GPS. I do not want to upgrade my gps because I don't think that having built in paperless caching is worth the cost of the upgrade as the GPS does absolutely everything else that I need. I currently copy and paste cache descriptions into .txt files that I view on my iPod nano or I just print them out. This solution is usable but I would rather get a cheap PDA that can do the job a lot better and without the hassle of copying and pasting the cache descriptions.

Can anyone recommend a good PDA that is not to expensive and is suited to geocaching?

I own a reasonably new Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and I have been trying to think of a good paperless solution without upgrading my GPS. I do not want to upgrade my gps because I don't think that having built in paperless caching is worth the cost of the upgrade as the GPS does absolutely everything else that I need. I currently copy and paste cache descriptions into .txt files that I view on my iPod nano or I just print them out. This solution is usable but I would rather get a cheap PDA that can do the job a lot better and without the hassle of copying and pasting the cache descriptions.

Can anyone recommend a good PDA that is not to expensive and is suited to geocaching?

Almost any pda will do what you want but if you think "paperless caching" is the only advantage to the new generation of gps, you're missing the other 75% of the improvements.

Here's a few:

+ higher resolution display

+ better map handling - maps can be uploaded individually - no need to make it all one file

+ Wireless transfer

+ Chirp capability

+ 3D compass

+ simple, fast Pocket Query handling - just put the file in the right place on the gps and you have paperless caching

This is just off the top of my head. There are many more advantages.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

a PDA won't be too useful with only a basic membership though.

Here is your main problem. To go truly paperless, you will need to become a Premium Member. You can then create and load Pocket Queries onto your PDA or even your iPod via software like maccaching, GSAK, cachmate, etc.

Edited to add: If you have a smart phone like an iPhone, Droid, BlackBerry, etc. You can use that to load information or even access the website to get the information, as long as you have cell coverage for the later.

Edited by ao318

Probably a good choice is the palm M500. They can still be found used at a fairly cheap price. But as others have mentioned without the premium membership your printer is your friend.

Almost any pda will do what you want but if you think "paperless caching" is the only advantage to the new generation of gps, you're missing the other 75% of the improvements.

Here's a few:

+ better map handling - maps can be uploaded individually - no need to make it all one file

+ Wireless transfer

+ Chirp capability

+ 3D compass

+ simple, fast Pocket Query handling - just put the file in the right place on the gps and you have paperless caching

I am considering upgrading to premium membership but I want to find out about PDAs or other paperless solutions before upgrading so I know whether or not I want to.

I know that paperless caching is not the only advantage to newer GPSs but none of them are features that I think are good enough to be worth the upgrade. I don't think they are big improvements because:

-higher resolution display - I would upgrade to 62s as I like the form factor of the 60csx and the easy to read daylight display and the 62s keeps both of these as it keeps the same resolution display. GPSs with higher resolution displays also loose some of there sunlight readability.

-better map handling - it only takes about 5 minutes or less to transfer about 1GB or maps onto my MicroSD card using my laptops card reader and a SD to MicroSD adapter so the better map handling isn't a huge improvement.

-Wireless transfer - I don't think I would use it.

-Chirp compatibility - This is a feature I would like but there are other ways of communicating with Chirps under development and Chirps are still fairly rare.

-3D compass - is it that hard to hold it flat? It is better if the unit is mounted i guess but I only mount my unit in my boat and there are too many electrics around it for a compass to work accurately. The compass I have mounted on the dash demonstrates this. :)

-simple, fast pocket query handling - it's not much of a bother to load pocket queries into Basecamp and then transfer them onto the GPS. I like to be able to view caches in Basecamp anyway.

The 62s does have other advantages but they are not huge or ones that I would make much use of. These include:

-better colour screen - doesn't really make that much difference

-slightly better battery life - I use rechargeable batteries and carry spares

-1.7GB built in memory - I have a 4GB MicroSD

-2000 waypoints instead of 1000 - I can use POIs if I have too many waypoints

-200 routes instead of 50 - I never need 50 at once

-200 saved tracks instead of 20 - this would be quite nice but I don't often need 20 at once

-photo navigation with geotagged photos - I don't think I would use it and I don't need it

-custom maps - I can still make my own with OSM data or with MOAGU. I use OSM maps that I create using mkgmap as my main maps

-tide tables - my watch does this

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I will have a look at the palm M500 although I might end up continuing to use my ipod and use maccaching to convert pocket queries. Any other suggestions are welcome! :laughing:

Here's a few:

+ Wireless transfer

+ Chirp capability

+ 3D compass

I know that paperless caching is not the only advantage to newer GPSs but none of them are features that I think are good enough to be worth the upgrade. I don't think they are big improvements because:

Ok, it's clear you've thought about it. The only reason I made my post in the first place was that some people seem to regard what they read here as gospel, so if anyone really thought the only advantage to new gps units was paperless caching, that would be wrong.

But as long as you're satisfied with the 60 then I have no problem with that. I loved my 60CSx until the day I bought my 550 Oregon, then sold it a month later. Same thing for my wife and her 76CSx - once she had her 550, the 76's days were numbered.

Here's a few:

+ Wireless transfer

+ Chirp capability

+ 3D compass

Ok, it's clear you've thought about it. The only reason I made my post in the first place was that some people seem to regard what they read here as gospel, so if anyone really thought the only advantage to new gps units was paperless caching, that would be wrong.

But as long as you're satisfied with the 60 then I have no problem with that. I loved my 60CSx until the day I bought my 550 Oregon, then sold it a month later. Same thing for my wife and her 76CSx - once she had her 550, the 76's days were numbered.

Fair enough. I will probably be sticking with my 60CSx until something new with a dramatically new feature/improvement comes out or I suddenly find myself with a lot of spare money (unlikely - I am a student). :laughing:

I was in a similar situation about a month ago....I've had a Garmin Legend Hcx since I started caching in July of 2010. I really didn't want to have to go out & buy another GPSr just so I could 'Go paperless'.

In short, I bought a 2003 model pocket pc for £25. Premium membership of Geoching.com for about £18, downloaded CacheMate software for about £8, and zip-7 for free....and that was it!!

I run a PQ the night before I'm planning on going out caching, unzip it & load to the pocket pc. Makes a hell of a difference to the caching experience. Don't get me wrong 'cos I'm not suggesting that my set up is the best by any means...but it does the job for me(and thats whats important!)

Finally, I don't tend to load my GPSr with dozens (or hundreds) of caches that I've no intention of visiting, I just load the ones that are in the area that I'm planning on caching in in the short term.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :D

I was given a PM as a gift. So, I dug out an Old IPaq that I had. Charged it up and downloaded my first PQ into it last week. Took it out for the first time yesterday. I have to admit that I felt a bit uneasy not having paper to go with, but it worked out well and it's better on the wallet (ink and paper). Looking forward getting out more!