Just a thought about TB's

Newenglandah

I'm not sure if this could be done or if it would be but I was thinking about how to stop the issue of bugs being taken and not logged out of the cache page. From what I have seen is that cachers just aren't familar with the process of logging in/out bugs.

Could someone set up a power-point type presentation that shows the steps of this and we could even make it so that you have to watch the presentation as part of the activation of your acct, so that everyone physicaly sees how to do it.

Just a thought --what are your opinons on this?

NOSEEUMS ---unpacked trail snacks!!!!!EEEEEEEEEEW

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

I'd think it was a good idea, except for sometimes if you're dense, you're dense, and no amount of Powerpont presentations is going to change that.

I recently had one of my TBs picked up and moved to another cache (at least they got that part right) without it being logged on my TB log. I was able to track down where it went via the cache logs. I moved it manually and sent the user the URL for how to use a TB since he picked up another one when he left mine.

Now he's figured out how to pick them up, but not drop them off.

Oh well...

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Something like http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellgcfaq.htm#bugs?

I must say that markwell is the Geocaching GOD, I swear you must have more time in this then Jeremy, well maybe not but ---Yes that is what I ment, the problem is, is not every new cacher reads the bible you have written on caching...

Is it possible to get a visual like that on the TB colum or like I said make it part of the account activation process?

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

I've gone to 3 caches in the last two days that were supposed to have certain bugs in them that I was after for a trip I'm taking next weekend. Out of all three caches only one had the bug in it that I was after. I just checked the cache pages and they are still showing as being in there.

It is indeed very frustrating to see all the mistakes folks make logging (or not!) the TB's. I would love to see something like the info page Markwell made as an easy link from all travel bug pages.

There should also be a way to virtually pick up a bug when you log the cache as easily as you can drop one from your inventory. This seems to be the biggest place where problems occur.

People also just seem to hold them for a long, long time.

There was a bug from England once that showed up in our "The Huka Falls" cache in New Zealand. It hadn't been logged for a while and it's owner had put it in a TB graveyard. When the poster mentioned in their log entry that they had left it I sent the owner an email about it. Sure enough he retrieved it from the graveyard and virtually placed it in the cache....happily I can say this bug is now moving along nicely and so far at least is being properly recorded.

When you see an error happening and if you have the time you can send emails to the parties involved and sometimes get it straightened out....

other times the little guys are just MIA.

gophertrax

Not all those who wander are lost. ---J.R.R. Tolkien

My two cents from collecting 300 of them: Bugs have several systemic problems that remain poorly addressed.

1. They are too darn cute. Muggles, newbies, and what-not just plain steal them or take them as trade booty.

Solutions: a.) Mission tag; b.) deface bug with Sharpie ink or a speck of chewing gum; c.) engrave/ etch your name and TB number on it.

2. Collectors grabbing at the cache, dunno what to do.

Solutions: a.) Mission tag; b.) Tag should have only 2 sentences--ONLY TAKE ME TO PLAY THE BUG GAME and a one sentence mission; c.) aluminum bug tag should have 2 sentences of logging instructions.

3. Logging at the website is too complicated.

From the process protocol point of view, anything that has more than about 3 steps is too complicated for the average person.

Solution: a.) a select box on the cache page that will flag immediate transfer to the bug page after the cache log is sent; b.) anything else that does two things in one unified step.

If it's too hard to do for a large portion of the sample population... then it's too hard to do. Simply the process and become inclusive for more of the population.

Our mission tags should not have 3 paragraphs of how to log the bug. The missions themselves should not have a solid paragraph of restrictions. Simplify.

Why does it take 15 minutes to set up the Risk game board?