Delorme PN-40

BadPaddy2

I'm new to geocaching and have a Delorme PN-40. I followed the instructions for connecting and was successful in connecting and downloading the newest firmware.

The device came with Delorme Topo North America (9.0)

When I try to download a cache into the device, I get the dialog box with the four steps by it errored out on actually downloading to the PN-40. I get three green check marks and a international "NO" symbol at step #3.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thank you for your suggestions and it will be taken under advisement on Topo.

The issue occurs between the USB connected GPS and the download process from the geocaching website. This is occurring when Topo is not even loaded. It may be an issue with that Delorme connect utility that downloaded during the connection process.

The dialog mentioned launches from the website when clicking "Send to my GPS". The third of those steps shown errors out.

Thanks again for your frank review on Topo, it does seem rather ponderous on initial review.

Thank you for your suggestions and it will be taken under advisement on Topo.

The issue occurs between the USB connected GPS and the download process from the geocaching website. This is occurring when Topo is not even loaded. It may be an issue with that Delorme connect utility that downloaded during the connection process.

The dialog mentioned launches from the website when clicking "Send to my GPS". The third of those steps shown errors out.

Thanks again for your frank review on Topo, it does seem rather ponderous on initial review.

Try and reload the down load browser, I believe it is step one, also make sure that you are in data mode, not map transfer mode. Topo is not that difficult if you work with it on the computer for awhile. Steps I use are connect gps, make sure data transfer,connect to ground speak , click delorme, click cache to dowload, 4 steps run through.

I have to say I only use that feature if I am going for a walk at lunch and want to grab a cache, otherwise I use cache register.

Still not working. The error message reads:

3) Sending geocache information

Waypoint indexing problem.

I remember seeing a "Data Mode" screen at some point, but can find no reference in the PN-40 manual to find it again.

If you miss the prompt on the device when you plug in the USB cable...

On the PN-40

Menu > Device Setup > Connect to Computer > USB Setting

All,

Thank you for your assistance with this problem. I took the whole kit and kaboodle to another PC and it downloads caches fine.

I think the original PC only needs to have the Delorme Utility reinstalled and will try that tonight.

I really appreciate all your suggestions and the blinding speed with which you made them!

I'm new to geocaching and have a Delorme PN-40. I followed the instructions for connecting and was successful in connecting and downloading the newest firmware.

The device came with Delorme Topo North America (9.0)

When I try to download a cache into the device, I get the dialog box with the four steps by it errored out on actually downloading to the PN-40. I get three green check marks and a international "NO" symbol at step #3.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Since you are a premium member, install Topo 9 on your computer, first. Then do a pocket query for caches in the area you want hunt in. Under the 'map files' tab in the lower left of the topo screen you should see "geocaching"with an arrow. That will give you the option to sign in and download the PQ directly to Topo 9. From Topo 9 you just sync with the GPSr and it will install the PQ file on your unit.

Also with the Topo 9 program you will be able to download maps from DeLorme and install them on your GPSr ( we really like having the USGS maps on our GPSr).

Hope this helps.

John