Santa Monic Mountains NP

Don_J

Glad to hear that such caches are out there.

Not sure what your other comment is for??!!??

Many hikers in our area carry water bottles, when the bottle is empty, they just toss it off in a bush. I feel that one of the NP's concerns would be that Geocaching could bring in extra litter, thus my comment.

Many hikers in our area carry water bottles, when the bottle is empty, they just toss it off in a bush. I feel that one of the NP's concerns would be that Geocaching could bring in extra litter, thus my comment.

In my experience, the geocaching hunts I have done are no more littered with water bottles than other trails. I haven't seen any vast number of water bottles along NP hiking trails that I have been on - not sure why you think Geocachers might be more apt to toss them aside.

In my experience, the geocaching hunts I have done are no more littered with water bottles than other trails. I haven't seen any vast number of water bottles along NP hiking trails that I have been on - not sure why you think Geocachers might be more apt to toss them aside.

I have no doubt that "geocachers" wouldn't bring in trash, My problem is that this area is nestled next to the second largest city in the the US, My comment was only CITO. I really don't understand why you took excretion to it.

I have no doubt that "geocachers" wouldn't bring in trash, My problem is that this area is nestled next to the second largest city in the the US, My comment was only CITO. I really don't understand why you took excretion to it.

Did you really mean to use the word excretion or was that an odd spell check correction?

Kinda funny either way ;)

Congratulations! Great to hear that another national park unit has allowed physical cache placements. I see Santa Monica Mtns NRA is placing the caches themselves as part of their ParkCache program. The current NPS directive, which leaves it to the discretion of individual park superintendents, plus the efforts of proactive cachers appear to be making a difference. I hope to get down to do those caches one day!

As you may know, North Cascades National Park in Washington state approved two physical caches last fall, the first in a western NP to my knowledge. I hope these wins herald a more open approach to caching on the part of NPS and agree with the OP that I hope we are good geo-citizens and don't do anything to jeopardize this trust.

Edited by hydnsek