2011 Short Notice Hikes

Criminal

This is about as short notice as one can get. I was supposed to transact some business in Tacoma today, but since I still haven't heard from the other half of that I think I'm going to head up and find some falling snow. I still haven't decided on Mt Townsend or Mt Zion, but both are high enough for the snow. If it takes me too long to get my gear together it'll have to be Zion, since it's only a two hour climb.

For the radio operators, I will be calling out on 146.520 and 146.460 simplex when I get to the top, if no joy I'll start trying various repeaters.

EDIT to add: Made the summit in about three and a half hours (going slow). Gale force winds on top so I didn't stay long. More later.

0f260dcc-700c-47a4-999b-0db2ef4933d5.jpg?rnd=0.756477

Edited by Criminal

Sorry, I wasn't monitoring VHF yesterday. I was busy working 10 meter SSB. It was over 50 years ago when I climbed Mt. Townsend and it is line of sight for me. It was one of the first climbs for the Olympic College Mountaineer Class. They all laughed when I showed up wearing tin pants and a hard hat. After almost being hit with bolders being kicked down by climbers ahead and the only one with a dry bottom after glissading down they quit laughing. Thanks for the pictures and

your adventure. 73 Dick

Edited by W7WT

Greg, I thought for sure you'd be on Northbend! We used to chat on that repeater all the time!

Dick, I was able to hit the .620 repeater in Bremerton no problemo. I realized an error after re-reading the TR- I DID make a contact through that repeater just before I put the radio away. I suppose if it wasn't so freaking cold I would have taken notes. I made two contacts on 146.520, Mt Vernon and Everett and one on the .620 repeater.

Edited by Criminal

Greg, I thought for sure you'd be on Northbend! We used to chat on that repeater all the time!

Dick, I was able to hit the .620 repeater in Bremerton no problemo. I realized an error after re-reading the TR- I DID make a contact through that repeater just before I put the radio away. I suppose if it wasn't so freaking cold I would have taken notes. I made two contacts on 146.520, Mt Vernon and Everett and one on the .620 repeater.

That was before you moved northward. I'm not on the radio much anymore since then. I haven't even put the modbile in the car yet. Still deciding on the coniguration and less conspicuous antenna choices.

Edited by TotemLake