Maps on gps

jimnsusie

Wondering if someone knows why some maps will work on my oregon 400t and not even show on my nuvi 500. Downloaded most maps from gpsfile depot and they seem to show and work very well on the oregon. They don't even show up on the nuvi. I put them all, 6 total, on an sd card so I could move them back and forth. I wonder if it is because they aren't routable and that is what the nuvi can do. The map that came on the nuvi works very well. Recently the map that came on the oregon showed caches that should have been along a road in a straight line but off of any road. I turned the stock map off and turned on the Arizona depot map it and the caches showed along the road as they should have. Each map is named differently and they show fine in the oregon. Any thoughts?

When I turn the unit on, the only map that shows up to select or deselect is the one inside the unit, the nuvi. The one that came with it. The maps I have loaded to the sd card don't show at all so I can't even begin to select them. Maybe they need to be loaded differently on the card for the nuvi. But yet they will work find in the Oregon the way they are already named. I just select one at a time in the oregon. Maybe I need to look at how the map is named inside the nuvi and maybe name the maps on the card something similar. Not sure though.

With the exception of transparent overlay maps, the GPS can only show one map at a time. When more than one map is enabled, draw priority determines which one shows. City Navigator (your built in map) has the highest draw priority of any map. So nothing (but transparent maps) will show with City Navigator enabled. So to see any other map you must disable City Navigator in the map set up.

I bet this is my problem. Map name. Like I said they work in the Oregon with the name I gave them. But not in the nuvi with the same name I gave. Ok. If I rename them all the same for the nuvi, then each should work when I select that map and of course only one at a time. Thanks, will try it. I am guessing that I will not be able to load so many maps to the sd card for the nuvi, since all maps will have the same name.

The nuvi will read one GMAPSUPP.IMG from the SD card and one from the device memory if you so choose. You will still need to toggle them on and off, however.

You were right about the name. Now I see the map on the sd card. Seems like I read on here before that you can only put one map on the card with the same name as any new map with the same name will just over write the old one. So am guessing only one map on the card for the nuvi. I like the maps like ones from gpsfile depot as they seem to show better detail most of the time.

You can load multiple maps from MapSource in the same mapset if you want.

Ok, then it will appear as one map, correct? And it is limited by size? Haven't done that before. I am guessing that I just load map segments that I want from each map that I pick from and load as one map. Will have to try that.

Ok, then it will appear as one map, correct? And it is limited by size? Haven't done that before. I am guessing that I just load map segments that I want from each map that I pick from and load as one map. Will have to try that.

It will appear as one map file, but the unit will still show the individual maps within that file. Another trick is that the Nuvi will actually accept TWO files on the SD Card, and up to FOUR files on the internal memory:

Internal:

GMAPPROM.IMG <- this is your preloaded map file

GMAPBMAP.IMG <- this is your basemap file

Internal and/or SD Card:

GMAPSUPP.IMG <- this is what Mapsource sends

GMAPSUP2.IMG <- this is an alternate map that it will also read

This is how I'm using my Nuvi.

Edited by northernpenguin

It will appear as one map file, but the unit will still show the individual maps within that file. Another trick is that the Nuvi will actually accept TWO files on the SD Card, and up to FOUR files on the internal memory:

Internal:

GMAPPROM.IMG <- this is your preloaded map file

GMAPBMAP.IMG <- this is your basemap file

Internal and/or SD Card:

GMAPSUPP.IMG <- this is what Mapsource sends

GMAPSUP2.IMG <- this is an alternate map that it will also read

This is how I'm using my Nuvi.

Great info. Thanks