Oregon 200

patandkat

So, I picked up an Oregon 200 for 100 bucks today. I am a relative noob, but isn't this a fantastic deal? It should be here within a week and I can't wait to get out there for some Iowa winter caching! Up to this point, we have been using our BBs with pretty good results. We were starting to think about doing some hides, so I thought it was time to take the plunge. I really want to make sure our coords are spot on. I was just looking for a little feedback from the community on the perks of this unit, or anything I need to watch out for. Thanks a lot and happy caching!

So, I picked up an Oregon 200 for 100 bucks today. I am a relative noob, but isn't this a fantastic deal? It should be here within a week and I can't wait to get out there for some Iowa winter caching! Up to this point, we have been using our BBs with pretty good results. We were starting to think about doing some hides, so I thought it was time to take the plunge. I really want to make sure our coords are spot on. I was just looking for a little feedback from the community on the perks of this unit, or anything I need to watch out for. Thanks a lot and happy caching!

That's a great price. I believe the unit is discontinued but it has all the basic functionalities of the Oregon GPS line. The only annoying thing is that it has an electronic compass which is pretty useless instead of a "real" compass.

The screen backlighting is a bit feeble and makes it hard to see in very sunny conditions. Other than that, it's a great GPS. I have to admit that I had an Etrex Vista HCX before and I kind of regret the upgrade since it was easier to read the screen on it even though it didn't support any of the cool paperless geocaching stuff.

So overall -- it's a good upgrade.

- Cheznousse.

For $100 I’d say you did good. I like mine but I have to admit that my old Etrex worked a tad better in the woods. The Oregon doesn’t like too much tree canopy overhead and looses satellite reception occasionally if it gets very thick. The Etrex seemed better in that department. I love the paperless caching though. I load all kinds of helpful stuff into mine to use later with the image viewer. Everything from topo maps, terrain maps, aerial maps, notes…just anything that you can load to view as an image. The touch screen is much nicer than the toggle switch on the Etrex I have. I don’t miss that! For $100 I’d be thrilled if I were you! Have fun with it.