Camp Starting Geocache program.

jmcoker22

The camp I work out is starting a geocaching program and I am interested in finding out what would be the best gps for us. We are located in Ohio and the gps units will be used by junior high students and older. Looking for something that is waterproof and rugged. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The eTrex series could be a good choice. Some of them are fairly inexpensive. One thing I don't like about them is the button are located around the sides. And they aren't labeled with text. My first GPS was an eTrex Vista. You'll have a learning curve with them. I did put together a one or two page handout for a scout troop that I did a class for. It wasn't to bad for them to use then. Six groups went out on their own and were able to use the units to find some caches.

I love my GPSMap 60Cx. Buttons are on the front face and are labeled with text. They run less than $300.

Your choice could be based more on cost especially if your going to buy several. Which ever model you choose, search online for good prices.

One thing to check on is if Garmin or a retailer could give your camp a discount. Never hurts to ask.

I would guess that a program at a camp would involve something other than permanent caches -- temporaries, stake courses, etc. That might make the Geomate Jr. a poor choice since (even with the update kit) it is limited to permanent caches.

The St. Louis Area Geocachers Association (SLAGA) participates in a number of events which involve the general public, including children in the age range you're looking at. We use the eTrex Legend H (the "yellow" eTrex). They are available for less that $100, have good battery life, and are easy enough to use (for these types of events) that the kids pick it up after a 5-minute intro. These are black and white units with no mapping capability -- so if maps are important to your intended use, you might need to step up to the eTrex Legend H. These are still pretty reasonably priced (list at $150).

From a setup standpoint (waypoint loading, etc.), the eTrex series is easily connected to a PC. You can load waypoints with any number of geocaching programs including EasyGPS (free), GSAK (low-cost), and ExpertGPS (slightly higher cost).

I would guess that a program at a camp would involve something other than permanent caches -- temporaries, stake courses, etc. That might make the Geomate Jr. a poor choice since (even with the update kit) it is limited to permanent caches.

The St. Louis Area Geocachers Association (SLAGA) participates in a number of events which involve the general public, including children in the age range you're looking at. We use the eTrex Legend H (the "yellow" eTrex). They are available for less that $100, have good battery life, and are easy enough to use (for these types of events) that the kids pick it up after a 5-minute intro. These are black and white units with no mapping capability -- so if maps are important to your intended use, you might need to step up to the eTrex Legend H. These are still pretty reasonably priced (list at $150).

From a setup standpoint (waypoint loading, etc.), the eTrex series is easily connected to a PC. You can load waypoints with any number of geocaching programs including EasyGPS (free), GSAK (low-cost), and ExpertGPS (slightly higher cost).

I believe you meant the eTrex H not the Legend H. The eTrex Legend H is Blue.

Edited by mpilchfamily