Just starting...what is a good GPS to start with?

FiveOneFun

Hi & welcome to the hobby/pastime/addiction :)

The Etrex H is a great little unit to get started with. Yes it will work fine for locating Geocaches, what they mean by "not Geocaching friendly" is that you can't download the entire Geocache description into the unit like you can with some of the more expensive models. It will show & take you to the lat/long location of the Geocache no problem, in fact it will do that just as well as the more expensive models!

Start with it, and if you find you really are enjoying the pastime then keep it as a backup & buy a more feature rich model, or give/sell it to another eager recruit! :D

Good luck!

Edited by NordicMan

So I have been trying to get into the whole geo-caching game and for christmas I received a Garmin eTrex H. I looked up the specs for this online and it is listed as not being geocaching friendly. The next model up the eTrex Legend H seems to be more suited for what I need. Any advice? Thanks all.

I have a Garmin etrec HC and works just fine. I would suggest looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC though. You can pick it up for $150 it does paperless geocaching and can handle like 5000 or 10000 geocaches in it at one time. That seems like a hard deal to pass up. If I did not have a unit I would definitely check it out.

So I have been trying to get into the whole geo-caching game and for christmas I received a Garmin eTrex H. I looked up the specs for this online and it is listed as not being geocaching friendly. The next model up the eTrex Legend H seems to be more suited for what I need. Any advice? Thanks all.

Okay everyone will laugh but I really do love my geomatejr - now has pocket queries and I did get the uupgrade kit. Found a lot with it. I also now have Oregon 450 bought from Groundspeak swap but I always go back to my geomatejr.

the only problem with the ETrex unit is the lack of files inside, it only takes waypoints. But, the old-fashioned PDA is not being used any longer by so many you can grab one for a song and load cache descriptions there with the right programs.

Printing pages for the caches I was going after got expensive really quick. If that is to be your temporary work-around, I used to open a notepad, highlight only the info I truly needed from the cache page, and put several caches on the same sheet that way. The lack of graphics meant only black ink was used, 4-6 caches per side of the page, and you had the margins to take notes.

Im Also new as from boxing day. Purchased a 550t with fullgb maps from wiggle.co.uk. Expensive Yes but why buy two (starter then upgrade) I always believe "buy cheap,buy twice" so i whent for the best one(so they say) Recieved today and already downloaded some caches and will be on our way soon.