Cross Country Race?

Brogan

But in order for those of us in flyover land to participate, maybe we make it a round the world race. regardless of where you start from you have to log caches in five specified states (New York, California, Illinois, Florida and Washington) other than your home state (if your home state is one of the named states you have to add Texas), ten countries (Australia, four in Asia, one in Africa, four in Europe) and then return home.

Think anyone would finish?

icon_cool.gif

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . . and then I get in my truck and drive the rest of the way.

My initial idea was to accept all TBs mailed to my location and organize a large scale release from a major metropolitan area IE: NYC, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, etc. However I noticed in a search today that there is a cache in PA called Cannonball Run and I have e-mailed the owner about the possibility of using it as a release point. The area appears to be remote enough to present a bit of a challenge but there are several towns/cities nearby that could "host" a gathering before the release.

I do like the now dubbed "One State Rule" as I think it lends some fairness to the game, also I don't believe that anyone who has entered a travel bug in the race should be allowed to be in posession of any of the race bugs to ensure that no one's bug is "kidnapped".

I'm open to suggestions and opinions about any and all of these things so bring it on folks!!

Also I am in need of a final destination point, if anyone out on the wesy coast has an idea.....

This is what I'm after.... should we be looking at teams attempting to move their own bugs cross country?, should it be a general release from a gathering or other high traffic area and a strictly hands off race?, can you grab somebody elses bug and backtrack it? What do you all think??????

quote:
Originally posted by Brogan:

This is what I'm after.... should we be looking at teams attempting to move their own bugs cross country?, should it be a general release from a gathering or other high traffic area and a strictly hands off race?, can you grab somebody elses bug and backtrack it? What do you all think??????

While I understand the reasoning, the fact is if someone intends to play dirty, then not allowing owners to touch bugs (their own or others) just means that they will get their friends to do it, or will simply not log their grab. The One State Rule should apply because its monitorable, but other than that rely on people's understanding of the prisoner's dilemna - if any racing bugs start getting messed with, the whole concept will probably collapse as owners go after each other's bugs. Maybe if we allow it, but ask people to log their actions, the bugs won't just disappear.

I'm still in, in any case. just let me know when and where to send my bugs. (I travel a lot myself, so plenty of notice would be appreciated.)

icon_cool.gif

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . . and then I get in my truck and drive the rest of the way

I'm interested.

But, I wonder about the one state rule. Many people pick up bugs without reading the directions, so I bet some would end up skipping states. What happens then? Is the bug disqualified, does it have to try to backtrack to get the missed state(s)? It would probably be extra inportant to put info tags on the bugs to avoid this kind of thing.

pokeanim3.gif

Pretty much have the rules hammered out, trying to keep it as simple as possible yet still fair. Now's the time to get your bug ready.... anything is game but keep in mind that it is a race so vehicles are probably the bug of choice. I'll be posting a contact address soon and begin collecting the bugs for a Spring release (soon as worst of the snow breaks).