Changing the Identity of a TB

HJS

Question for the more seasoned folks. Here is my idea. I would like to send a TB from the east coast to a cacher on the west coast. Once the Travel bug reaches him (by way of his cache), he keeps the traveller and mails me the tag back.

At that point, can I give the bug a new identity, a new goal a new traveller?

I appreciate your input as well as your story where you did this, or why you couldn't do this.

Personally, I wouldn't do this. Travel bugs don't cost that much. I would prefer to keep the history of the bug intact and just start a new one.

The people who find your bug and pass it along are the ones who build the history for the bug. Many like to watch interesting bugs we have found, and changing to a new identity would complicate things, even if you keep the older history.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

Travel bugs don't cost that much.

I agree with your point about the history of the TB and using a different tag for each one. But I'd have to differ on the cost of a TB. It irks me to pay $5 plus shipping (and yes, I know about the discount plans) for a little metal tag with a number stamped on it. I can afford it, but it's annoying. I'd rather have the membership bumped up to $20 and make it so only members could launch TBs, and have the tags cost more like $2. I guess this is another topic.

quote:
It irks me to pay $5 plus shipping (and yes, I know about the discount plans) for a little metal tag with a number stamped on it

Actually, you get two metal tags & a chain icon_wink.gif

quote:
I'd rather have the membership bumped up to $20

Isn't the current membership already $30?

I ordered my first TBs without realizing about the PayPal option so I ended up paying more for them. $5 does seem like a lot for what you are getting but like others have said, if it helps support the site ( one way to get support from nonmmebers) I don't have a problem with the charges.

Eswau

quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Kane:

<SNIP> It irks me to pay $5 plus shipping (and yes, I know about the discount plans) for a little metal tag with a number stamped on it. <SNIP>

The cost is more for the services provided of tracking the bug, calculating mileage, displaying maps, storing logs, etc. The tag is a minor part. The server load due to the bugs probably has more to do with the cost than the metal tag.

You are paying for the service, not just the tags.

I don't think the cost/value ratio is so bad. It makes the game a bit more interesting for alot of people. Of course, you can still use a simple hitchhiker, hope you get email updates, and track it yourself.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Sure - but don't delete the mileage or experiences gained on the previous trip.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

Don't delete the logs of past finders. That's part of the history and should not be taken from the people who contributed at their own time and expense to help your bug along.

I really don't know if you can delte the bugs milage without deleting the logs. If you can't it should just be retired.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.