Geocaching 101

weustamiata

Hi all! We are wintering at a large RV park (800 space) in Southern California. We are thinking of offering a Geocaching 101 to the park, as there is some interest. While there are many caches nearby, we would place a few in the park for practice, removing them afterwards. This would be done with the parks permission. Have any of you done something like this before? What kind of things did you run in to? Is there a general outline you would follow? I'm thinking:

1. What is it?

2. How do you do it

3. How do you use a GPS

4. Describe Geocaching.com and demonstrate

5. Show some typical cache containers

6. Practice finding the samples hidden in the park

7. Maybe a follow up picnic in a few weeks for new questions and success stories.

I would very much appreciate any comments from you all. I would also invite any and all current cachers to add there experiences and advice to the class.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Dick Lewis

Edited by weustamiata

Nice idea.

3. How do you use a GPS

:) WARNING: This is an enormous subject, and can overtake any presentation about geocaching

Ie, people will bring what they have - i'd guess you'll see a lot of auto-navigation units, and smart phones, some hand held recreational units. Bone up on the subject if you're planning to teach it.

Mention trackables, for sure.

3. How do you use a GPS
As Isonzo Karst says, this is a huge subject, especially given the variety of devices people will bring. The intro classes I've taught/observed sidestep this issue by handing the students GPS devices that are preloaded with coordinates, so all they have to teach them is how to go to the next geocache.

I like to introduce the concept of how GPS works by hanging colored yarn from the ceiling (or from branches, if you're outdoors). Explain that the length of the yarn represents the distance from the device to the satellite, and show how the yarn defines a circle: inside the circle is too close to the satellite, and outside the circle is too far. Then show how a second piece of yarn defines two points, where the two circles intersect. And a third piece defines one of the two points. (But there is also another point "up there" that also matches the three distances.)

4. Describe Geocaching.com and demonstrate
I usually don't spend much time explaining geocaching.com, other than showing a page and pointing out the icons for cache size, for difficulty, and for terrain. I show examples of all 4 sizes, and I explain that 1-star is the easiest (both for difficulty and terrain), and that 5-stars is the most difficult (probably requiring special training or equipment).

5. Show some typical cache containers
A technique I borrowed from another local teacher is to take the students to a nearby area where I've hidden a dozen or more caches. I have them stand behind a line, raise their hands, and point when they spot one. This works well as a last step before finding real caches.

I'd definitely include info about bad containers vs good containers. (lots of threads on the forums on this)

Also what makes a good hide and what makes a bad hide. (lots more threads on the forums on this)

Groundspeak's motto is "The Language of Location" I think that's really important.

What are you saying with your hide? Where are you taking people? What do you want to show them?

I think it's really important to cover the "hiding" aspect of the game, even to newbies, because some newbies latch onto the hiding idea and really need the info more than anyone because they've not found enough to know a lot about hiding yet.

Try contacting the 2UnusalSuspects, they ran a class every month here in Hampton Roads VA at the Newport News Park. They did an outstanding job until Chico retired and hit the road with their RV/Motorhome. I'm sure they would be happy to provide some insight.

Go NAVY beat Army!!!!!!!!!!