File Depot dot com help

J the Goat

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. This weekend, I had a friend download the road maps from filedepot dot com onto my Colorado 300. Neither one of us can get it to auto route. Not sure why. The other question I have is regarding seeing geocaches on my screen. Before the maps, I was able to look at the basemap and see the nearby geocaches. Now I can't see any until I select one as my destination, at which point only that one shows up on the map. Can anyone help me out? :(

Thanks.

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. This weekend, I had a friend download the road maps from filedepot dot com onto my Colorado 300. Neither one of us can get it to auto route. Not sure why. The other question I have is regarding seeing geocaches on my screen. Before the maps, I was able to look at the basemap and see the nearby geocaches. Now I can't see any until I select one as my destination, at which point only that one shows up on the map. Can anyone help me out? :(

Thanks.

There's no auto-routing info in those maps. One of the disadvantages of free maps.

Thanks.

There's no auto-routing info in those maps. One of the disadvantages of free maps.

That makes sense. Bummer.

that's not entirely true. some free maps (usually based on OSM data) are perfectly routable. on some devices the address search won't work (because they haven't figured out how to do that yet) but if you have a waypoint or coordinates as destination (or just a point on the map), you can still use them for car routing.

you can probably also have multiple maps installed: one non-routable topo and one routable non-topo, and use them according to needs (not sure how that works on the colorados exactly). or maybe it's even possible to combine the two in mapsource?

check here for links to free routable maps: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map...Garmin/Download

Edited by dfx

Good info, my Oregon should be arriving today...

So are there any free maps where all the nearby geocaches show up, not just the one you are searching for?

Maps don't cover geocaches. You can see them all. Not sure why the OP is not seeing thiers. I would try reloading them. Or maybe they are zoomed out too far. BUt no map should cover any cache. They are drawn after the map is drawn.

that's not entirely true. some free maps (usually based on OSM data) are perfectly routable. on some devices the address search won't work (because they haven't figured out how to do that yet) but if you have a waypoint or coordinates as destination (or just a point on the map), you can still use them for car routing.

you can probably also have multiple maps installed: one non-routable topo and one routable non-topo, and use them according to needs (not sure how that works on the colorados exactly). or maybe it's even possible to combine the two in mapsource?

check here for links to free routable maps: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map...Garmin/Download

Before you use any OSM maps for something mission critical in the US, be sure to check the route on something like Google. The problem with OSM in the US is that they have imported lots of Census Bureau Tiger files that aren't routable and aren't accurate enough to be readily converted to routable. Volunteers are actively fixing them, but it's hard to know when your area is fixed.

All in all, City Navigator North America NT is a bargain.

I've been using openstreet maps that are routable on my etrex for about a year now and found them extremely accurate and reliable. Where I find an error (which is rare) I just go and fix it. I also contribute trails that I encounter. strange how all my trails seem to pass near a bunch of geochaches ... :laughing: