ok to hide a reg. cache near a virtual cache?

cvfamily4

I wanted to hide a traditional cache today but I found a virtual cache is placed near the spot we wanted to hide one today. I wasn't sure if it was ok to do that since the virtual cache doesn't actually have a cache to hunt for. Does anyone no what the rules are about this? Thanks for your help! ~cvfamily4~

Does anyone no what the rules are about this?

I've taken the liberty of copy/pasting the relevant stuff from the link zdeng posted:

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

To answer your question more directly, feel free to hide your physical cache near a virtual. :)

I wanted to hide a traditional cache today but I found a virtual cache is placed near the spot we wanted to hide one today. I wasn't sure if it was ok to do that since the virtual cache doesn't actually have a cache to hunt for. Does anyone no what the rules are about this? Thanks for your help! ~cvfamily4~

See THIS Knowledge Book article. The way I have seen this interpreted is that it is OK to place a physical cache near a virtual but you should make sure there is enough distance so that your map icon doesn't cover the existing icon or the other way around....

See THIS Knowledge Book article. The way I have seen this interpreted is that it is OK to place a physical cache near a virtual but you should make sure there is enough distance so that your map icon doesn't cover the existing icon or the other way around....

Huh?

The map icons have nothing to do with it. You can hide your traditional cache with the exact same coordinates of the virtual, if you choose.

I'd say it is rude to the virtual cache owner unless they OK it.

As mentioned above one problem is if a cache is right by another, when people look at thier GPS they only see one cache. (ALSO NEVER PUT AN ADDITIONAL WAYPOINT AT THE CORDS OF YOUR CACHE AS THE WAYPOINT COVERS UP THE CACHE!)

I had a virtual in the middle of the Mississippi on the old RT 66 bridge for 9 years. Some one with 1 find placed a traditional 125 feet from mine (actually it would appear to be even closer as thier cords are in the river not on the bridge). I was not happy. The bridge is 1.5 miles long-why did they have to put it right where mine has been for 9 years? The CO has not been on the site for several months and there has been nothing but DNFs for the last couple of months (well there was one note that they did not see the cache-that was because it was too close to mine).

All of the rules are in the guidelines, which you should read completely and understand before hiding any cache. This concerns me because you've hidden 75 caches and that means that 75 times you checked the box that said you read and understood the guidelines. If you did, you shouldn't have this question.

Sorry for being blunt, but way too many people check that box and don't really read and understand the guidelines, which causes all sorts of problems.

Huh?

The map icons have nothing to do with it. You can hide your traditional cache with the exact same coordinates of the virtual, if you choose.

It's considered a nice courtesy to not place your cache coordinates EXACTLY on top of a Virtual Cache so that the icons are not obscured on the maps.