gerbiL cacHe Birthday Bash 2010

mblatch

gerbiL cacHe Birthday Bash 2010 (GC2H9WB)

On May 3, 2000, Dave Ulmer hid a 5-gallon with a logbook, a now infamous can of beans, mapping software, five dollars in cash, and a slingshot along the side of a road in northern Oregon to test out the accuracy of the newly available public access to the global positioning system. Little did he know that this simple stash would blossom and evolve into the sport of geocaching as we know it today.

A mere 6 months after that original placement on the west coast, New Jersey joined the growing caching craze. The date was November 25, 2000, and a caching afficionado from New York City known simply as "cache_ninja" went for a hike in Ramapo Reservation that would forever change the lives of uber-geeks throughout the Gar^den S#Tat@E.

In what has now become a typical north Jersey hide, a small cylinder was tucked into the crevice of a rock formation and the rest, shall we say, is history. gerbiL cacHe has become an iconic "must-do" cache for any serious Jersey cacher and is often a favorite milestone find.

While the original cylindrical container was replaced with an ammo can by briansnat back in April 2004, the hiding spot and original posted coordinates remain the same (though roughly 50 ft off). What makes gerbiL cacHe so special though is that it still contains the original logbooks, including the placement note written by cache_ninja on that fateful November 2000 day and all additional logs added over the years to accomodate the relatively constant stream of visitors.

gerbiL cacHe is truly a treasure of the Jersey caching community and of geocaching in general, so the NNJC is throwing a party in honor of its 10-year anniversary. An invitation is extended to all cachers from far and wide to come celebrate this impressive milestone with us and to sign the event log, which will be a special birthday card for New Jersey's revered caching rodent. No presents please. gerbiL's hate unwrapping things and really only like chewing on the boxes. :laughing:

After the party, there will be a ceremonial group hike to gerbiL cacHe to deliver the birthday wishes in person and to wish it well on its next 10 years. All are welcome to join in, but participation in the hike is not required to log the event.

Edited by mblatch

I did personally invite him and have corresponded with him several times since. However, he now lives out on the west coast and will not be able to attend. :laughing:

From what I understand, he and Mrs. Ninja are expecting a little Ninja around the same time as the event anyway. :rolleyes:

While the original cylindrical container was replaced with an ammo can by briansnat back in April 2004,

I replaced the container in 2004 with a container provided by Brian, In fact I still have the orginal Gerbil container.

That would be cool if you could bring that. If I recall correctly it was something along the lines of a Tupperware spaghetti container.