What GPS?

mr nice

From what I know of GPS's it's better to either i) Set a maximum budget and get the best GPS you can for that money or ii) Know which features you want and get the cheapest one with them that you can find. If it's just mapping you need, do you want OS or would 'Topo' do?

Which is best OS or Topo I don't know

From what I know of GPS's it's better to either i) Set a maximum budget and get the best GPS you can for that money or ii) Know which features you want and get the cheapest one with them that you can find. If it's just mapping you need, do you want OS or would 'Topo' do?

I find OS (like the paper OS map format) much better for walking and for Geocaching. I use OS on a sd card with a dakota 20 and love it. I have had a etrek, a etrek H and a vista which had basic mapping and the free maps which toastertalker does but find the OS maps much better.

Like others have said it depends on your budget and how my much you are willing to spend.

I upgraded over time and sold my used ones on the web. I brought mine at Cotswolds and got a 10% discount using my National Trust card and some vouchers I was given for a leaving present at work. (Other stores are available and maybe cheaper).

Blatant self promotion.... I've written a page on my resource site about GPS receivers including mapping, paperless caching and advice on choosing one. Great opportunity for me to see if the page works :)

Would appreciate any feedback!

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/gps.html

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

OS shows roads, buildings, footpaths and streams, plus inclines at 1:50k (Landranger style maps) or you can get 1:25k which will show field boundaries, little streams and the like - Topo is usually a lot more basic, but comes free with the GPS. It'll show place names, roads and rivers and a lot of people get along with its level of mapping just fine. I went the colour PDA (typically 320x240 res, but you can find 640x480 screens if you hunt around) and bluetooth GPS route myself but usually have an old etrex with me as a backup.

Blatant self promotion.... I've written a page on my resource site about GPS receivers including mapping, paperless caching and advice on choosing one. Great opportunity for me to see if the page works :)

Chris

Graculus

Had a look at the web page now I'm even more confused :)

Chris

Graculus

I have had a look and it looks very good to me. Lots of easy to read information explaining the different types and what you need for paperless etc. Looks up to date and would be good for anyone planing to buy a new GPS.

Thanks. :)

I find OS (like the paper OS map format) much better for walking and for Geocaching. I use OS on a sd card with a dakota 20 and love it. I have had a etrek, a etrek H and a vista which had basic mapping and the free maps which toastertalker does but find the OS maps much better.

I used to use the GB Topo maps made by Garmin using OS data but now use the OpenStreetMap maps (the ones talkytoaster compiles into Garmin format).

I found the Topo maps to be very hit and miss regarding which paths are shown and which are not. Some paths that are little more than a strip of earth worn through the grass are shown while some of the compressed gravel tracks in the New Forest (approved for cycling and capable of taking a Forestry Commission 4x4) are not. I found another gravel road two cars wide leading to a car park in Exmoor that also wasn't shown.

Using the OSM maps I find I have to be aware of how it routes me (that's an experimental feature) and it's not always accurate when it comes to which paths are suited for cyclists. I've told my Garmin GPS that I want a route for a bicycle and it still periodically sends me down paths with prominent "No Cycling" signs on them which means I have to either work out another route for myself, or get off and push for a short distance, both of which cost me time.

Of the two I'd rather have the odd situation where it tells me to cycle down a path where cycling is not allowed than to not show the path at all. When caching in large open areas it's good to know where the paths are - when you can see paths you can find the best way to the cache rather than having to take a best guess, fight through undergrowth from one direction and then realise that if you'd approached it a different way you could have followed an established trail.