dog cache

zsdeng15014

Put one where Bosco likes to go. I have done some nice dog caches that are ammo cans off of trails. I have done a few in dog parks, including one under a fire hydrant - but the muggle factor is high for those. Get a large plastic dog toy or figurine and use that for a container, which might be more fun than the fake dog poop cache I did. Just remember that any suggested dog-related tasks (having a dog, photos, etc.) cannot be mandatory logging requirements.

Edited by mulvaney

I want to make a cache in honor of my neighbors dog: Bosco. It would have dog toys for swag. And it would be in a place where there are dogs allowed. Finders are asked to bring their dog if they have one. And take a picture of them and their dog.

Any suggestions?

We have a dog-theme cache. It's been a good experience.

Finders have left good comments about the location (a quiet off-leash forest), and the well stocked cache. Some suggestions and what to expect:

• use a good watertight container so the contents are well protected (we use an ammo can)
  • use a good size cache so that people can leave larger items - like a collar, tennis ball, squeaky toys, etc.
  • expect that people will leave non-dog items
  • maybe 50% of finders that trade will leave dog-related items
  • theme caches are more work - I check ours at least once a season to remove non-dog theme items and put in more dog items

I myself did a dog cache, however there are no tradable items involved.

Started with a "kong" that was given to me. Plugged the bottom hole with a rivet and use construction adhesive to secure it. The went to Lowes and picked up a bath tub plug. At this point the cache looked like this:

imag0053j.jpg

Then I sprayed a few coats of flat green on it for camo.

imag0073n.jpg

I was very pleased with the end result. The cache passed the shower test, and was pretty well leak proof. Only time it got water in it was when someone decided not to put the plug back in.

Heres the . cache

I did a dog themed cache and enjoyed it. It was a large container and held a lot of stuff. I think one of the things swag wise I liked best about it was that it not only had stuff for the dogs but it had stuff for pet lovers. Pet keychains, pet figurines and so on. I got my one travel bug from that cache.

The dog toys and clothes in the cahce were primarily meant for small and extra small dogs and I had a large dog at that time and an extra large dog now and none of that would have been something for me to trade for.

Put it in a pet friendly area (away from the large roads and away from hunters). And have a nice friendly suggestion for the picture instead of being a demand and I think you'll be successful.