Earthcache Events

PaneledZero

I was curious as to if anyone has hosted an Earthcaching event? If so, what did you do, how many people showed up? I am looking to host one, (maybe every couple of months) to help raise the Earthcache placements in my area. A lot of people in my area were very interested during our 10/10/10 event.

I heard that someone on here might have a power point presentation that explains Earthcaching. If there is not one out there I would be interested in making one or assisting in making one with someone on here, contact me if you would like to help.

PaneledZero :unsure:

Edited by PaneledZero

I was curious as to if anyone has hosted an Earthcaching event? If so, what did you do, how many people showed up? I am looking to host one, (maybe every couple of months) to help raise the Earthcache placements in my area. A lot of people in my area were very interested during our 10/10/10 event.

I heard that someone on here might have a power point presentation that explains Earthcaching. If there is not one out there I would be interested in making one or assisting in making one with someone on here, contact me if you would like to help.

PaneledZero :unsure:

I hosted an EC event on 10/10/10. Wasn't quite sure what to expect or what we'd get but we had about 20 participants, which seemed to be fairly good for a first EC event here in the area. This one was focused on discussing what ECs were, logging requirements, and the process for developing an EC including potential areas that might make for an acceptable EC. We did have a local geologist who is also a cacher attend. We didn't have a slide show, just did a big round table open discussion and the event was two hours. I did have handouts -- printouts of a couple of ECs in the area, and a page that I put together that was a cut and paste of GSA's information about the Masters program (which seemed to be of interest -- the "what's in it for me" and all that).

I think that it was a good first event but folks definitely expressed a lot of frustration over trying to understand the various requirements related to placing an EC, and a whole new appreciation for how much effort a non-geologist does go through to understand all the requirements and necessary earth science lessons as well as how to put one together.

I did manage to “weasel in” on a local 10-10-10 Event, 10-10-10 - Multi-Event - SWPA by DresselDragons (GC2CXM1) Pennsylvania. My approach was to do a walk through on an EC and upon completion inform them that they are eligible to claim a find on this one:

Rocks In A Stream by Geo Walker A Platinum Level Earthcache Master (GC2FXQR)

Pennsylvania

As part of a geocaching event, Caching with the Conservancy 2010 by Arf2-D2 (GC24H90) Pennsylvania, I covered ECs. using a PPT.

GeocacheAlaska!, Inc (Alaska's statewide "local" geocaching organization) has purposed to host at least a half-dozen 'EDUvents' per calendar year. These are education events aimed specifically at developing geocachers' skill sets related to one particular topic or aspect of the geocaching game. On this first round of EDUvents the topical teaching has focused on an introductory level approach. Because of the distances involved, events are hosted at widely scattered locations around the state with the actual presentation being 'webcast' from one of the sites. While numbers of persons involved aren't huge by 'outside' standards, it's thus far been very successful here at meeting our educational goals.

On April 15 2010 I was the presenter for the EarthCache FUNdamental EDUvent. Here in Alaska our geologic landscape is rich in opportunities for EarthCaches. Our goal at this event was to introduce and explain EarthCaches, as well as exhort cachers to model excellence in developing new EarthCaches. All of our EDUvent presentations are posted to the Education Page of our website as a resource for geocachers. You're welcome to visit that page and peruse the presentations. What is not shown on the education page is the photo slideshow some presenters run during the Q&A session, which amplify and illustrate the concepts presented (or just provide delightful geocaching eye-candy!)

If you'd like to use the powerpoint presentation (rather than the PDF seen on the website) please contact me directly from my profile page via email. GeocacheAlaska!, Inc asks that anyone using materials from their website contact the webmaster for permission (usually cheerfully granted), and credit GeocacheAlaska!, Inc as the source.

GAKwolf_small_3.jpg

Edited by NorthWes