Help....how to disect an Etrex legend

Woodstramp

Bought a good used Legend a while back. I accidently dropped the little booger. Really like it.

It still works, but sometimes the LCD screen goes nuts. Tapping the side or pressing buttons either brings on the messy LCD problem or corrects it. I'm thinking I loosened something inside with the drop. I've hacked into a few Magellan units before for repairs, but I cannot figure out how an Etrex is put together. I can find no screws. Looks like the glued on rubber shielding may be hiding some secrets, but I don't want to damage that.

Anyone know how to get inside on of these? Pics? Links?

Thanks.

There are no screws. The black rubber band is held on with a thin double sided tape/membrane type thing. Basically just work the rubber band off, remove the tape, and you will see that there are four-six little clips holding the two sides together. Depress the clips and pop it apart. The FCC cable that attaches the LCD to the mainboard is a little awkward if you have big hands.

Before taking it apart, have you tried to update the firmware? We recently had problems with ours, coincidently, just after being dropped. The screen would go blank, with a line down it, and, no controls would work. Sometimes it would work for only a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. Turns out, there was a new WAAS satellite that had been launched causing problems with the original firmware. The easiest way to update it, is to go to Garmin's site, download their web updater, then follow their instructions on connecting the GPSr and updating it. A quick google search on the legend and it's problems will turn up plenty of posts throughout various forums related to the issue, along with various fixes.

There are no screws. The black rubber band is held on with a thin double sided tape/membrane type thing. Basically just work the rubber band off, remove the tape, and you will see that there are four-six little clips holding the two sides together. Depress the clips and pop it apart. The FCC cable that attaches the LCD to the mainboard is a little awkward if you have big hands.

Thanks Savant. I'll give it a go.

Before taking it apart, have you tried to update the firmware? We recently had problems with ours, coincidently, just after being dropped. The screen would go blank, with a line down it, and, no controls would work. Sometimes it would work for only a few minutes, sometimes an hour or more. Turns out, there was a new WAAS satellite that had been launched causing problems with the original firmware. The easiest way to update it, is to go to Garmin's site, download their web updater, then follow their instructions on connecting the GPSr and updating it. A quick google search on the legend and it's problems will turn up plenty of posts throughout various forums related to the issue, along with various fixes.

Astro,

The FW is cool. Just updated it a month ago. It does get WAAS and tracks fine. This appears to be a a loose connection of some sort. The LCD gets long dark vertical lines or goes totally dark. Just bumping it on the side will fix it temporarily. I'l thinking it's the LCD ribbon or terminations.