where should i turn my head to?

lgass

hi everyone

i'm new around the geocoin world.

i have about 15 coins that are the cheap ones and some cool others.

the guy that sold me most gave me a clever advice: i should focus on a theme...

a quick tought about it and he is right...

i would like to focus my collection on two aspects being that one of them has a special branch. i'd like to focus on cultural and ethnical coins.

for example, i saw recently a coin with the celtic tree of life (don't know where). and some with special characteristics of certain countries or areas... flags also... that's the first aspect. being that i would like to branch out some of the collection for asian culture... i mean symbols,zodiacs and everything...

the second is portuguese coins. i'm from portugal. i have two of them and they rock... besides, i love my country...

however, i don't even know how to start! should i go to the alphabetical list and search letter by letter?

how should i do this? can you help me (do you have a similar interest or any coins you don't want with this characteristics)

My thought is to have you look at one of the bigger collections on a website like cointracking.com, and take a peek at some of the bigger collections. To the left of the coin name, a lot of the collectors will have pictures of the coins that you can click on to enlarge. Be careful what you fall in love with...a lot of the coins pictures might be older, hard to find coins. Check out my coins by clicking the link below and look at the keeping coins...I checked, and I have about 1850 coins listed...there are many bigger collectors that i can direct you to.

Keep an eye on the geocoin forum...a lot of the new coins available get posted on the forum. I's also suggest checking on the "what was in your mailbox today,) post. Lots of new coins show up there every day!

Good luck on a new hobby, be careful to spend within your limits, and save a good trader for me!

ILYK

You could certainly do that. Or you post in the trading thread to see if anyone has some traders that fit your themes and are willing to trade you. The trading thread is pinned at the top of the Geocoin Forum.

I actually have a chinese zodiac coin or two if you are interested in trading...send me a message through my profile and I will dig them out. Don't forget to include your list of traders.

Good luck - it sounds like you have some good themes in mind!

I had to chuckle at your post, lgass! I was having the same thoughts a little over a year ago! I started very sensibly by collecting only Celtic & Egyptian themed coins, mainly on eBay at first. Problem: So many pretty coins, that didn't fit those themes! I did Google searches on other coins I saw that I was interested in, & discovered this forum & the vendor's sites. To make a long story short, I now collect 14 themes of coins, including a miscellaneous category. :D So I hope you have more restraint than I do; otherwise, a second job may help feed the addiction! Good luck!

Check out my coins by clicking the link below and look at the keeping coins...I checked, and I have about 1850 coins listed...there are many bigger collectors that i can direct you to.

Keep an eye on the geocoin forum...a lot of the new coins available get posted on the forum. I's also suggest checking on the "what was in your mailbox today,) post. Lots of new coins show up there every day!

i opened the link but it requires time to see all those coins.

oh my god, so many

and i had ignored that mailbox thread cause i tought it was a game... but it really is helpful

I actually have a chinese zodiac coin or two if you are interested in trading...send me a message through my profile and I will dig them out. Don't forget to include your list of traders.

as soon as i have a pic of all my coins i'll contact you.

I had to chuckle at your post, lgass! I was having the same thoughts a little over a year ago! I started very sensibly by collecting only Celtic & Egyptian themed coins, mainly on eBay at first. Problem: So many pretty coins, that didn't fit those themes! I did Google searches on other coins I saw that I was interested in, & discovered this forum & the vendor's sites. To make a long story short, I now collect 14 themes of coins, including a miscellaneous category. :D So I hope you have more restraint than I do; otherwise, a second job may help feed the addiction! Good luck!

good to see i'm not the only one. i guess it is a path we all take right?

do you have your collection of celtic and egyptian coins somewhere on the web? i'd love to see those...

thanks for your replies...

as soon as i have a pic of all my coins i'll contact you.

If you know the names of them, just send me the list...I don't need the pics. If I don't happen to know what they are, I can find out easily enough.

:D

do you have your collection of celtic and egyptian coins somewhere on the web? i'd love to see those...

I activate my keepers & put their pictures on their pages, along with my comments on the coin & info from the designer if I could find that in my research. You can see them by going to my profile & clicking on trackables, then look through the list of coins I own. Click on the icon, then the link, to go to the page.

Yes, it might be a good idea for you to take a look, & see where this geocoining path can lead you--before it's too late! :D