Where should I spend a Saturday near LA caching

iambobbrown

Well.....Los Angeles is a very large city. Can you narrow it down a bit. Will you be near the airport, or some other city nearby?

The conference I will be attending is downtown LA, but that is from Mon-Thu. For Saturday and part of Sunday, I am totally wide open. I have not booked a room yet, so I am free to go anywhere.

Griffith Park looks great, I will know first hand next week when I visit the batcave from the 1960's batman show. There are lots of caches in that park with miles of hiking.

The batcave is the only cache on the West entrance of the park. Some cachers have hiked over the top to get there, but most park on the west side. All the other caches are on the main East side of the park. . . where the observatory, the zoo, and the parks are.

We have a few planned for that day in the park. But thats the first one. Then we are going to drive farther west to get the picture perfect hollywood sign (GCQC55) and the one near it (GC1BYYV), then we are going to hike up the paved Mullholland road to the hollywood sign and pick up a few around there like (GC2141W) and then go home.

Nothing crazy, we are still new and taking a few people that have only gone once.

We are saving the ones towards the east for later.

Edited by EhFhQ

All three places seem like excellent choices. I think I am going to drive up to Thousand Oaks on Friday night and spend Saturday geocaching around there. I am hoping I can get to the other places during the week. Do either of those two parks (Elysian Park and Griffith Park) have bike rentals? I have never been to Santa Monica/Venice Beach. I am assuming there would be bike rentals there. Does caching on a Sunday along the beach sound like a good idea?

I dont know if there are bike rentals, my bad knees prevent me from riding a bike so I didnt check.

But if you do make it to Venice, make sure you get GC12MJR. Its a quick walk from the main part of the boardwalk. That was our favorite (and biggest) cache we found down there.

And check out the 5 dollar freak show if you are into that sort of thing, they have a sword swallower that is really cool.

We have a few planned for that day in the park. But thats the first one. Then we are going to drive farther west to get the picture perfect hollywood sign (GCQC55) and the one near it (GC1BYYV), then we are going to hike up the paved Mullholland road to the hollywood sign and pick up a few around there like (GC2141W)

If you are in that area, Oz Fest is fun, particularly if your timing is right.

Hello All.

I will be in town for business. Flying in early to spend the day geocaching. I will have a car, I like to hike and I like to bike. If you were to recommend a place to spend a day geocaching, where would it be?

Thanks,

Bob

Malibu Creek State Park, highlighted by the MASH Cache.

I work in the Pacific Palisades. Just down from Malibu. I know where I am going after work B) Thanks for the info!!

Last weekend we found some great caches in the griffith park area. I suggest you do this cache, thats just outside of griffith park:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...18-f2061dc59392

This is the closest you can get to the hollywood sign, unless you are behind it. Its am amazing place to take pictures. Right past that cache is a regular size cache with lots of swag. So dont be disuaded by the micro size.

And the Bat Cave cache was awesome too.