Geocoin Magazine

GaryM53

Groundspeak is, if I understand correctly and things haven't changed, going to be moving to hosting all activation codes on geocaching.com (or perhaps another dedicated site). So having to know who made the coin so that you can get its activation code is going to be a moot thing soon.

YAY! ;):blink:

Groundspeak is, if I understand correctly and things haven't changed, going to be moving to hosting all activation codes on geocaching.com (or perhaps another dedicated site). So having to know who made the coin so that you can get its activation code is going to be a moot thing soon.

That would be VERY GOOD. I have had a terrible time getting activation codes for some coins and there are still two that I have been unable to activate. Several times, Groundspeak had to bail me out. There was one coin in particular that required a team of experts.

Gregson

interest in this kind of information comes up from time to time

but getting anywhere on collecting all of the information is probably impossible

there are some (maybe many) originators of geocoins (and other trackable items) who do not wish to reveal production numbers

there are several trackable sources that have gone on to other things, and have no interest in or recollection of numbers of items produced

even getting a list of all of the finishes (and/or color combinations) a particular geocoin was made in (never mind how many) has proved to be somewhere between very difficult and well nigh impossible for many items

add to that the possibility of re-mints (in the same or a new finish and/or color combination), and just keeping current on items produced in the past is a significant challenge

the most that GC.com is likely to be able to do is say how many tracking codes were issued for a particular item name

but I do not believe that they have any way of knowing how many of the codes were actually used, and what the details of the variants might be - and even if GC.com has this information readily available, I suspect that they would respect the privacy of whoever bought the codes, and not release the information