Geocaching in urban areas

Grilledmonkey05

I'm still pretty new to geocaching and so far have mainly done ones when i was holidaying up north. Now that im back in town i want to keep going and there appears to be tonnes in my area. The problem is that i find the sites so open that i feel stupid getting out my GPS and poking around in local parks, playgrounds etc.

How can i avoid being caught by muggles??

I was looking for one the other day near the ground in a populated urban area ... I decided it would be smart to bend over and act like I'm tying my shoe while I look .. until I realized I'd worn slip-ons that day. Mental Note: wear lace-up shoes for urban caching. lol :anitongue:

I've also tried to park nearby and act like I'm looking at something on/in my car.

If all else fails, take out your cell phone and act like you're talking. People usually dismiss it when people are doing random odd things while talking on a cell phone, because they are just distracted. :anitongue:

The best advice I've been given, though, is to NOT TRY to not look suspicious, because then you're far more likely to look suspicious. Relax and have fun, and most of the time nobody will notice.

Try not to look around to see if anyone is watching you...that's a surefire way to draw attention to youself. Look at people and they will keep looking back wondering what's up. I was sitting on a bench on a boardwalk with a cache on my lap when muggles approached. They said "Hi" and I returned the greeting, pretending I had a mouthful of food from my "lunchbox." They quickly left me alone to my picnic after my grunt.

I'm still pretty new to geocaching and so far have mainly done ones when i was holidaying up north. Now that im back in town i want to keep going and there appears to be tonnes in my area. The problem is that i find the sites so open that i feel stupid getting out my GPS and poking around in local parks, playgrounds etc.

How can i avoid being caught by muggles??

Local parks - Have a clipboard, pencil and reference book with you. If anyone asks you are doing a survey of local indigenous insects including the little known coleoptera microcachetus. You've had reports of sightings in the area...

Local playgrounds - Hmmm. I don't really like to see caches within children's playgrounds but if you must search for them I'd suggest you pick a time when few children are there and if questioned you could say that you're doing a survey on recreational provisions for youngsters in the locality and the standards of play facilities. Or something...

Random walls and other architectural structures - Apparently a hi-vis vest, hardhat and clipboard works well. You become a local 'official' checking structures for acid rain erosion/safety/graffiti/road-widening scheme etc...

Or

If anyone asks you could just say you're geocaching and hand them one of these brochures

Geocaching University "Let's Go Geocaching!"

Have fun!

MrsB

Try not to look around to see if anyone is watching you...that's a surefire way to draw attention to youself. Look at people and they will keep looking back wondering what's up. I was sitting on a bench on a boardwalk with a cache on my lap when muggles approached. They said "Hi" and I returned the greeting, pretending I had a mouthful of food from my "lunchbox." They quickly left me alone to my picnic after my grunt.

Yeah that was me walking by.

I left quickly because I thought it was pretty strange you were eating that cache!! :):blink: