Garmin Nuvi 1490T

A.T.Hiker

Hi there-

I thought I'd get just as much help from here as I might from Garmin, possibly more. Anyway, I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T which has served us well so far. I was wondering if anyone had experience with adding topo maps? Is a micro SD necessary for this? Can it be done safely without risk of erasing the City Navigator maps that come pre-installed on the unit?

I have the Garmin Topo 2008 DVD. So, is it a simple matter of just plugging in to the PC, opening mapsource, choosing maps and sending to the unit? Or, is it more complicated?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Your nuvi 1490T should display topo maps. I would recommend sending the topo maps to the SD memory. You will not overwrite the preprogrammed maps because the preprogrammed maps are named gmapprom.ing and the supplemental maps from MapSource are named gmapsupp.img. You will have to disable the City Navigator and enable the Topo in the setup. You will also have to change from automotive view to north up.