Which topo software will meet my needs best?

RedLeg0811

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out which mapping software to purchase. I have tried looking through the FAQ and doing searches, but I have not found what I was really looking for.

I have an Oregon 400T. From what I understand none of the topo prorgams will load maps to my garmin? I have put the Garmin map on it and downloaded some for the Washington state area. It would be cool if there was one that I could download.

The way I plan on using this is making some way points and trails and figuring areas I should scout for hunting. I like to have good detail becasue a lot of time I end up following a deer trail or picking my own way through. Some times I will get turned around, but can usually work my way out. I want to be able to print maps to get a better idea of the overall area. I usually always take a hard map and compass.

The software I am looking at is Expert GPS, National Geographic State Topo, and the Delormie 9.0

Expert GPS: I have used the trial version about 6-7 years ago. From what I saw it was pretty cool that you could download USGS maps from the whole US and aerial pictures. Granted it seamed like the data was old since it showed I-90 not being completed between Ellensberg and Vantage.

Delormie Topo: I have used it in 1999 and at the time it seamed hard to use and not very intuitive even for a computer guy. Granted great leaps and bounds have been made in the computer world in 11 years.

NatGeo Topo: My friend used it and liked it. The maps looked nice. It seams I am limited to only buying a state topo if I want the detail. I really don't know much about it.

I would love to hear from the people that have these products.

Thanks

Martin

Much depends upon why you're trying to use a PC to load the maps to your unit. Once you have the *.img topo file from any source, you can just copy them directly over to your Oregon's "Garmin" folder, or a "Garmin" folder that you can create on a microSD card.

Recommend you check out the topos available here (7.5 minute aka 24K) and see if these won't suit you:

www.gpsfiledepot.com

Read their quick tutorial here on getting them onto your 400:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

If you need to see what's being loaded on your unit, Garmin will supply that software. If you don't already have MapSource (much quicker than BaseCamp, you can download it here from Garmin:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Topofusion ( www.topofusion.com ) will easily build garmin style Custom maps from a number of sources.

They end up being raster maps, not vector maps, and can be either tons better or slightly worse. Also, the Custom Maps feature that garmin provides IS somewhat limiting at only allowing 100 tiles on the GPSr at a time.

Custom maps are also not street-routing enables as far as I know, which may or may not be a factor.

Ecanderson, Ok that is the one I have downloaded before. For most things it is good. I have not tried, but can you print those maps out?

gpsbjorn, That is interesting I will have to try that out.

I guess since I have already downloaded 24k maps for Washington I should really be looking for software that does the best printed maps and is easy to use. I have a good Epson printer that does 13x19 sheets, so they should come out nice.

Thanks