travel bug in my cache

johnypic

curious what the feelings are on this, on a fortnightly check of my cache i found a travel bug left inside. should i just observe and leave alone and wait to see what happens or do i take part myself. what is the norm in this sort of situation. i don`t mind either way. one idea i have had is to leave for a week to ten days and if it does`nt move then intervene.very open to all your views on this. "the cacheman" ken

k. j. picton

I think it is ok to grab one from your own cache.

One of our caches had a travel bug placed in it awhile back, and I really wanted to help move it because it was a stuffed cardinal bird and I love birds. So I did a maintenance run on my cache and grabbed the bug.... took it home, took a pic of it with my cockatiel, and dropped the TB into a local cache I hadn't found yet.

quote:
Originally posted by johnypic:

curious what the feelings are on this, on a fortnightly check of my cache i found a travel bug left inside. should i just observe and leave alone and wait to see what happens or do i take part myself. what is the norm in this sort of situation. i don`t mind either way. one idea i have had is to leave for a week to ten days and if it does`nt move then intervene.very open to all your views on this. "the cacheman" ken

k. j. picton

I've gone both ways with this very question. Usually, it depends upon what time of year it is, and if the bug peaks my interest. If it's close to when I'm going on a road trip, I'll definitely go and grab it, or if I find the bug particularly interesting, I'll do the same.

I had one bug in my cache that looked really neat, but the day before I could get out to get it, it was taken by another cacher. A month later, the bug came back to roost in my cache and I went out that day and grabbed it so I wouldn't slip away from me again.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

If you want to move the bug along, move the bug along! icon_smile.gif

If you want to just have the bug for a little while, take some pictures, add to its story, add to your numbers, BUT leave it in your cache since that makes the cache more attractive to other cachers - you can also do that. Digitally remove it from the cache and re-place it back there.

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

<snip>

Digitally remove it from the cache and re-place it back there.

You don't even have to do that... You can just 'Post a Note' if you want it in your stats, or if you want to add to the story. Accomplishes all the same things as far as the website is concerned, and is much harder to screw up than the grab'n drop, especially if you try to clean up any of the extra logs....

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

----------------------------------

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

I have taken bugs out of my caches when I can help their goals.

I actually had someone leave a bug specifically for me in one of my caches just so I would take it to some far away place. They left it, I grabbed it, I took it far and dropped it off. Everyone was happy icon_smile.gif

Juanbob