TB only cache ediquete

shastaou812

OK, there is a cache here in my area that you have to find a key in order to find and open the cache. There are three keys and they are UN-official travel bugs that move from cache to cache after being used to open their cache. One of these keys has ended up in a travel bug only depot cache. This cache requires you to leave a TB if you take one in order for it to count as a find. This is so it can maintain at least three TBs at all times. My problem is that I only have one TB (i'm a newbie) and I want to place it in the chache found with the keys since this in part of it's goal.

So since the key is an unoffcial bug do I just visit the cache and take it? Also can I log the TB I have in and then out of the cache as having visited it and then counting it as a find?

Thanks for your help!

Interesting etiquette problem. Is the key a travel bug or not? If it is, then you need another TB to take the key. If it's not, then it shouldn't be in there in the first place, because it's a TB depot cache.

You can't follow the rules of the cache without trading in a TB for the key, if it's a real bug. If you put in the bug you have to get the key, then you won't have the TB that you want the key for.

As far as checking in then out. That's being sneaky and playing on the technical edge. Yes, it was checked in the cache, but you didn't leave it. People do it and it adds virtual mileage to the bug. One recent thread talked about this.

Of course, the subject of trading bug for bug is being discussed in this one too.

I took the "it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" approach. I went on a lunch time cache to find the key. It is not an official bug so other than the log it is not registered in the hotel. I wrote the owner of the cache to ask him what I should do about logging the cache.

Another travel bug hotel etiquete question! There were three other TBs in the cache. Is it bad form to log the TBs as finds by placing notes on the TB's page? I wonder only because I placed a note on one of the TB's page because I added a keychain to it as this is it's goal to accumulate more keychains. I thn noticed that it added it to my TBs found count. I don't care about the counts just curious if people log TBs even if they don't move them.

Thanks Again.

quote:
Originally posted by Shastaou812:

Another travel bug hotel etiquete question! There were three other TBs in the cache. Is it bad form to log the TBs as finds by placing notes on the TB's page? I wonder only because I placed a note on one of the TB's page because I added a keychain to it as this is it's goal to accumulate more keychains. I thn noticed that it added it to my TBs found count. I don't care about the counts just curious if people log TBs even if they don't move them.

Thanks Again.

This thread talks about that. I think it's fine to copy the numbers and post a note that you saw it. There are lots of caches with TB's listed in them that don't exist there, and it's helpful to know the real ones ae still there.