Garmin 62s and USGS

adkgps

I have two questions, has anyone tried using the new 62s with USGS 7.5 minute maps uploaded using the Garmin Custom Maps feature? I understand that the display of the 62s has a lower resolution than the 400/450 series, is the 62s resolution good enough to use 1/24,000 USGS custom maps?

2nd question - does anyone know whether Garmin is planning to use the new Sirfstar 4 chip in a new handheld to replace the 450? I have used the 76/60 CSx series with the superb SirfStar III chip and a quad helix antenna and I have always enjoyed excellent acquisition times and accuracy.

... has anyone tried using the new 62s with USGS 7.5 minute maps uploaded using the Garmin Custom Maps feature?

I have used TopoFusion to make CustomMaps for my 62st from both USGS Topo downloads and MyTopo downloads and the results have been VERY good. I would not mind having more pixels on screen, but the higher color definition (vs 60CSx) and the custom map data certainly work well for me.

2nd question - does anyone know whether Garmin is planning to use the new Sirfstar 4 chip in a new handheld to replace the 450? I have used the 76/60 CSx series with the superb SirfStar III chip and a quad helix antenna and I have always enjoyed excellent acquisition times and accuracy.
FWIW: Garmin stopped using all SIRF chips in the 60/76 over a year ago and switched to Mediatek.

In any case, Garmin is almost exclusively using the STM Cartesio chip on all new handhelds and many road warrior boxes. So don't hold your breath for a Star 4.

Sample screenshot at left...

62susgsandaerial.jpg

In the 2nd image, can one change the coordinates to the decimal format? ie: 34.78427 -109.99025

I am assuming these images were captured from the Garmin GPSMAP 62ST.

I am weighted on either a 62st or the Oregon 450T (hard choice).