Google Earth

pmolan

I was just wondering... If I copy and paste the coordinates of a cache into Google Earth, the location is rock solid. It doesnt move. However the geocache addon icon bounces all over the place. Why is this?

Unfortunately, it was deliberately programmed that way. However Google maps works just fine.

Is this why Google Earth listings are way off from the LOC files of the same caches?

I started playing with GE today (yeah, late to the party) and liked that I could bookmarks lists of caches on a trail at gc.com, then download a LOC with all of the caches listed in it, then load that into GE to get a better look at the area (better than Google Maps IMO, and you can list alot more waypoints/placemarks in GE).

So then I tried to load some caches via the GE link in my profile.... and found them to be WAY off from the ones I had already loaded using LOC files.

Hope I made sense with what I am trying to say here....

Immediately below the link to "Download viewer" is a link to

http://www.geocaching.com/about/google.aspx and that document says

Please Note: The coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location. The Geocaching Google Earth feature is a tool for viewing geocaches in a general location. Do not use the coordinates in Google Earth for finding or placing geocaches.

I wish Groundspeak would make that more prominent as it's a FAQ.

Guess I'll just stick to loading either LOC or GPX files in Google Earth.

Depends on what you are using it for. I often use the viewer to get an overview of an area's caches. No need for great accuracy for that.

Yeah, but with GPXs you get all the info (same as I can on my GC Explorer for paperless caching), and added waypoints (like parking, or a particularly nice view in the area) as well as the accuracy.

I use it to find an area I am interested in. Then I get a PQ for that area. It's just one more tool I use to narrow down what I want to download in the first place.

Makes sense to me. I'm still building/changing/developing my ways of gathering/sorting resources... just started caching in May :rolleyes:

Right now I use bookmark lists, which I then download into Google earth, and I do occasionally use the viewer too.. I like to keep caches in areas grouped for outings and haven't quite yet perfected a system for myself, but I can already tell GE will be a BIG part of the final system.